WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University baseball team ventured outside Thursday and braved strong winds and cool temperatures in the season opener against Christopher Newport University at Hoy Field. The visiting Captains broke open a 1-0 game with seven runs in the fourth inning en route to shutting out the Bison, 9-0.
Gallaudet (0-1) loaded the bases in the bottom of the third inning with two outs but junior Justin Strong (Charlotte, N.C.) hit a shot right to the third baseman, who just had to step on third base to end the threat.
Christopher Newport (2-0) chased Gallaudet starting pitcher Ben Coleman (St. Paris, Ohio) in the fourth inning after four hits, a sacrifice bunt and passed ball led to four runs. Trailing 5-0, Coleman was lifted for senior Albert Blake (Derby, Conn.).
The Captains added one more run in the ninth as they had eight hits in the win.
Joe Burris picked up the win for CNU while Coleman took the loss.
- GU's top of the order had three hits
- Senior outfielder Chase Magsig (Hudsonville, Mich.) had the first hit of the season for the Bison, infield single to third base in the third
- Freshman Gilwon Seo (Chungju, South Korea) had his first collegiate hit
- GU pitchers walked eight batters and struckout three
- CNU had three doubles in the game
- Four CNU pitchers combined for 11 strikeouts
- CNU starting pitcher Ryan Powell lasted four innings
- The Captains stole four bases
The Bison will travel to North Carolina this weekend to face No. 28 Frostburg State University and Penn St.-Harrisburg on Saturday, Feb. 20, at 1 and 4 p.m., respectively, at Finch Field.