WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University baseball team fell short against an undefeated McDaniel College team on a mild Monday afternoon at Hoy Field as the Green Terror blanked the Bison, 7-0.
McDaniel (6-0) was able to maintain its unblemished record thanks to senior starting pitcher Marty Windisch (2-0) who threw seven scoreless innings where he allowed five hits, walked two and struck out five. Fellow senior pitcher Ben Van Put pitched the eighth inning and freshman D.J. Biscoe finished out the final inning to preserve the shutout victory for the Green Terror.
Gallaudet (3-10) had a runner on third in the fourth and fifth innings, and two runners on in the seventh inning; however, the Bison failed to capitalize on the scoring opportunities.
McDaniel scored a run in the third, fifth and the sixth inning off Gallaudet junior starting pitcher Ian Evans (Murphy, N.C.) who pitched 5.1 innings and kept the game close before being replaced by senior reliever Albert Blake (New Derby, Conn.).
Blake gave up four more runs (two earned) in the eighth inning. Junior Kenneth Gentzke III (Scottsville, N.Y.) pitched the final inning, recording his first collegiate strikeout on the first batter he faced.
- Junior Justin Strong (Charlotte, N.C.) smacked a double down the right field line in the seventh inning
- Hayes recorded his fourth multi-hit game of the season
- Gumm's multi-hit game was his third of the season
- McDaniel's seven runs is its lowest scoring output of the season
- The last time Gallaudet was shutout in consecutive games was in a doubleheader against Franklin & Marshall on March 15, 2015
The Bison baseball squad will next travel to Florida for six games at the RussMatt Invitational during Spring Break, starting with a game against Suffolk University on Saturday, March 12, at 6:30 p.m.