WASHINGTON – The 2013 football season for Gallaudet University has been a special one so far for the Bison but the story behind the program and its rise to being regionally ranked, undefeated, leading the Eastern Collegiate Football Conference and on the verge of a championship has balloned into a national sports story. In two weeks the story grew locally to a national college football story being covered by many different outlets.
The growth of the Bison story intensified this week after the Bison kept the perfect season intact with a miracle finish on the road at Becker College last Saturday. With the game tied, Becker lined up for a 31-yard field goal with only two seconds left on the clock. Gallaudet, the world's only deaf and hard of hearing University, took home the victory after it blocked the field goal attempt and returned it 79 yards for the game-winning touchdown with no time remaining in the game.
The play was featured on Saturday night's ESPN SportsCenter Top 10 plays segment at No. 5. The play drew the attention of several other noted media outlets as Kendall Green became a sports media hub this week.
The team received a helmet sticker from ESPN's College Football Final show from Rece Davis for the win. GU was later recognized on Monday's ESPNU #Great8 plays show as one of the top moments from last week's slate of college football games. Prior to the blocked field goal play, the Associated Press and the Washington Post had featured the team. The list of media clips has grown over the past few days to include ESPN.com, SportsIllustrated.com, SBnation.com, USAToday.com and Yahoo Sports. The Yahoo Sports story was also featured on Yahoo.com as a top story on Wednesday. The blocked field goal play was also talked about on The Tim Brando Show that is broadcasted on CBS Sports Network and on SirusXM.
Locally, the Bison have been written about by 106.7 FM The Fan, featured on Wednesday night's WUSA channel 9 (CBS) broadcast and on Friday morning's WTTG Fox 5 morning show as they filmed a live shot from Hotchkiss Field with the team.
The most recent news story comes from ESPN.com columnist Johnette Howard, who visited campus on Tuesday, and wrote an excellent article on the Bison that was posted Friday evening.
The Bison (8-0, 5-0 ECFC) host Anna Maria College (2-6, 1-4 ECFC) on Saturday, Nov. 9, in their final home regular-season game on Senior Day. Kick-off is set for noon at Hotchkiss Field.
Gallaudet Football in the News
- ESPN.com: Dancing all the way; Gallaudet football team's joy shines during one amazing season (11/08/13)
- WTTG 5 (Fox): Gallaudet Bison have chance to lock up football conference crown (11/08/13)
- WUSA 9 (CBS): Gallaudet Football on the verge of first ever NCAA playoff berth (11/06/13)
- USA Today Sports - Gallaudet University, a school for the deaf and hard of hearing, has an undefeated football team (11/06/13)
- Yahoo! Sports - D-III Gallaudet University is on the cusp of history (11/05/13)
- 106.7 FM The Fan: Nation's Only University for the Deaf Making Noise In College Football (11/05/13)
- SBnation.com The Curious Index (11/04/13)
- ESPN.com: On The Mark (11/04/13)
- Tim Brando Show: Gallaudet's Chris Papacek, Ryan Bonheyo earn Hambone Award (11/04/13)
- SportsIllustrated.com: Key match-ups could bring clarity to BCS race; more Overtime (11/03/13)