WASHINGTON – No. 25 Gallaudet University has been in the middle of a media frenzy the past three weeks as both local and national media outlets have converged on Kendall Green to get a chance to interview the coaches and players of the Bison football team. Media coverage did not let up this past week as Gallaudet (9-0, 6-0 Eastern Collegiate Football Conference), fresh off a 35-7 conference clinching win over Anna Maria, prepared for its regular-season finale on the road against SUNY Maritime. The Bison earned their first ECFC title and received an automatic berth into the 2013 NCAA Division III football championship. GU will take an 11-game winning streak into Saturday's game.
Locally, the Bison have become a source of pride in the D.C. community. Mayor Vincent C. Gray tweeted Gallaudet on Wednesday wishing the team the best of luck on closing out their undefeated season. Washington Redskins safety Reed Doughty, who served as an honorary captain in Saturday's win against Anna Maria, was seen in the Redskins locker room with a GU Bison baseball hat on during an open media session. The teams win was also mentioned and shown on the WTTG 5 (FOX) Morning Show. With the clinching of their first berth into the NCAA tournament, the Bison had Jeff Pegues of CBS Evening News, Horace Holmes of WJLA 7 (ABC) and Jason Pugh WRC 4 (NBC) visit campus to report GU's journey. Articles and stories on the Bison have continued as the Washington Post ran a blurb Tuesday about Gallaudet's first-ever national ranking while Bleacher Report had a nice feature story on the Bison reaching the NCAA playoffs for the first time in school history. GU coach Chuck Goldstein was a guest Wednesday morning with Andy Pollin on ESPN 570 AM in D.C. Gallaudet was also mentioned on the D3football.com Podcast where the audio was transcribed in the comment section.
More media coverage is on the way and is bound to continue if the Bison can carry a perfect 10-0 record into the NCAA playoffs. The Bison look to complete a perfect season for the first-time as a varsity program on Saturday, Nov. 16, when GU takes on Maritime (N.Y.) College on the road at 1 p.m.
GALLAUDET FOOTBALL IN THE NEWS
- NFLDraftDiamonds: Diamond in the Rough - Gallaudet's Adham Talaat (11/15/13)
- WRC 4 (NBC): Gallaudet one game away from flawless season (11/14/13)
- Redskins Blog: Reed Doughty puts Gallaudet on his head (11/13/13)
- Mayor Vincent Gray: Tweet on the Bison (11/13/13)
- Washington Post: Sports Digest (11/12/13)
- Prince Georges Fire Dept.: PGFD Captain John Elie is also Coach Elie at Gallaudet (11/12/13)
- NCAA.com: Gallaudet comes in at No. 25 in AFCA poll, first ranking in school history (11/11/13)
- WJLA 7 (ABC): Gallaudet football team makes NCAA playoffs for first time in history (11/11/13)
- Bleacher Report: Gallaudet wins ECFC title, clinches first playoff bid (11/11/13)
- D3football.com Podcast: Around the nation podcast (11/11/13)
- WTTG 5 (FOX): Gallaudet beats Anna Maria 35-7 (11/11/13)
- CBS Evening News: The storied football team of Gallaudet, the nation's first university for the deaf (11/10/13)
- USA Today Sports: Go Figure - Weird, Wacky and Wow of the Weekend (11/10/13)