WASHINGTON – Although the Bison were unable to close out a perfect regular season the support from the community and both national and local media has been immense this past week. Gallaudet (9-1) is fully focused on its next opponent as the Bison arrived in Geneva, N.Y., Friday in preparations for Saturday's showdown with No. 7 Hobart College in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division III football championships. The Bison earned their first Eastern Collegiate Football Conference title and received the program's first-ever berth into the NCAA tournament.
ESPN aired a feature on SportsCenter, that originally aired on Thursday night's 6 p.m. newscast, about Gallaudet and the historic season that the team is having along with some perspective from players and head coach Chuck Goldstein. The writers at D3football.com wrote their opinions on the Bison's place in the playoff field and the expectations for the team in round one. The Bison were featured on the CBSSports.com college football front page after senior college football columnist Bruce Feldman wrote about GU senior defensive end Adham Talaat (Springfield, Va.) and his inspirational story. Feldman is a New York Times bestselling author and previously spent 17 years at ESPN. The Associated Press featured the Bison for the second time this year as Joseph White chronicled the new media presence surrounding Gallaudet and the upcoming game against Hobart. The article was also featured on the Wall Street Journal website along with hundreds of other newspapers across the country. Freshman offensive lineman Lucas Newton (Rockingham, N.C.) was also interviewed by his hometown newspaper, the Richmond County Daily Journal, this past week. Earlier in the week, local sports website Pressbox D.C. wrote about the Bison's 2013 season.
On the trip to Hobart, Goldstein was interviewed by ESPN 570 AM in D.C. and WTOP 103.5 FM in D.C. Make sure to tune in to Comcast Sportsnet tonight (Friday, Nov. 22) at 10:30 p.m. as the Bison story will air following the Washington Capitals game against the Montreal Canadiens.
Gallaudet looks to continue its historic run on Saturday, Nov. 23, at noon against Hobart.
GALLAUDET FOOTBALL IN THE NEWS
- Bleacher Report: Gallaudet University, a school for the deaf, wins conference title (11/22/13)
- ESPN SportsCenter segment: The Gallaudet Way (11/21/13)
- D3football.com: Playoff picks, surprises, disappointments (11/21/13)
- CBSSports.com: Gallaudet's Talaat hopeful storybook journey leads him to NFL (11/20/13)
- Associated Press: Firmly in spotlight, Gallaudet preps for NCAAs (11/20/13)
- Wall Street Journal: Firmly in spotlight, Gallaudet preps for NCAAs (11/20/13)
- Richmond Count Daily Journal: Newton is a part of history (11/19/13)
- D3football.com: Around the Region Column (11/19/13)
- Pressbox D.C.: Gallaudet's historic season leads to first-ever playoff appearance (11/18/13)