CASTLETON, Vt. - The Gallaudet University football team ran out of time here Saturday afternoon at Spartan Stadium as they lost 28-17 to Castleton University in an Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) game on the road.
Gallaudet (3-6, 3-3 ECFC) scored twice, within 49 seconds, to erase a 17-point deficit down to four, 21-17, with 7:43 left in the fourth quarter.
Freshman running back Darrion Green (DeSoto, Texas) scored on a 20-yard run after the Bison took over on downs. On the ensuing Castleton drive, quarterback Mitchell Caron (27-for-37, 274 yards, one touchdown, two interceptions) was intercepted at the Gallaudet 45 by sophomore linebacker Mason Gooch (Mount Sterling, Ky.), who ran the ball back for a touchdown at the 7:43 mark. This was Gooch's first touchdown of his career.
GU's defense forced a key three-and-out as Castleton's Mike Morgan was forced to punt for the third time in the game. The Bison started the drive at its own 14 with five minutes, 40 seconds to work with. Sophomore quarterback Timel Benton (Columbia, S.C.) rushed the first two downs for a loss of one yard before throwing an incomplete pass on third down, which was almost hauled in by junior wide receiver Dylan Mento (Atco, N.J.) near the sideline. Junior Tony Libit (Deerbrook, Wis.) had to come in and punt since GU was backed up deep in its own territory. Libit kicked the ball out to midfield as Castleton began its drive at the 4:03 mark.
Castleton (5-4, 4-2 ECFC) rode its running back Moe Harris (29 carries, 128 yards, two touchdowns) on seven straight carries. GU had Castleton down to 4th and 3 at the Gallaudet 34 but Harris broke through several tackles and went straight to the end zone to put the game away in the waning seconds. Harris went over the 100-yard rushing mark on the run and scored his second touchdown of the second half.
Castleton took a 15-0 lead into halftime as the Spartans recorded a safety and Caron threw a 13-yard touchdown pass and ran in from 13 yards out.
GU got on the scoreboard in the third quarter when sophomore kicker Jacob Guertler (Staunton, Va.) made a 22-yard field goal with 4:10 left in the third quarter.
- Benton led all GU rushers with 73 yards on 14 carries
- Green had 70 yards on the ground on four carries
- Benton completed 1 of 9 passes for five yards
- Libit took care of the punting duties with four punts for 155 yards (38.8 yards average)
- Gooch led the Bison with 16 tackles and one interception
- Junior defensive back Rashard Witherspoon (Brownsville, Tenn.) had an interception and returned it 51 yards
- Three different Bison had nine tackles
- GU turned the ball over three times
- Castleton controlled the time of possession 35:28 to 24:32
- Gallaudet ran for 211 yards on 40 carries
Gallaudet will close out the 2017 season next Saturday, Nov. 11, at 1 p.m. at SUNY Maritime (8-1, 5-1 ECFC) in the conference finale.