WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University men's basketball team continues to play strong at home in the Field House as the Bison defeated Penn College, 78-55, here Saturday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game. Gallaudet (5-5, 2-2 NEAC) is now 3-0 at home this season.
Gallaudet had four players score in double digits led by juniors Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N. J.) and Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) with 17 points each. McGriff led the team in rebounds (11) with his third double-double this season. Sophomore forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) had a double-double as he finished with 16 points, 10 rebounds and a career-high six steals. Senior guards Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) and Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) added 11 and seven points, respectively, in the win. Bonheyo grabbed eight rebounds, passed out four assists and made three steals.
The Bison played a strong game in the post as Harrington came off the bench and provided a spark. Harrington asserted himself in the paint as he scored nine of his 17 points and ripped down seven of his eight rebounds in the second half. The team fed off the energy as they limited the Wildcats (2-9, 2-3 NEAC) to 12 of 37 shots (32.4 percent) from the field in the second half.
The Wildcats held a two-point lead in the first two minutes of the game, however, Gallaudet answered with a jump shot from Cruz as they took the lead and never relinquished the lead. GU's largest lead of 26 points happened late in the second half as the buff and blue emptied the bench in the closing minutes.
Penn College had three players score in double digits, led by senior Kevin Laurence-El with 14 points and junior Thomas Ross with 13 points and 12 rebounds.
- Gallaudet set several season-high marks as a team for rebounds (47), field goals made (31), field goal attempts (65), assists (20), steals (15) and blocks (four)
- Junior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) passed out a game-high eight assists as he scored five points, two rebounds and two steals off the bench in his home season debut
- Cruz led the team with two blocks
- Freshman Cody Crace (Westfield, Ind.) scored his first collegiate basket with 1:19 left in the game
- GU scored three times as many points in the paint as the Wildcats (48-16)
- The Bison bench scored 24 points
- This is the seventh game GU has recorded 40 or more rebounds in a game this season
- GU totaled 15 steals and scored 19 points off 23 Penn College turnovers
- 12 different players saw action in the game for Gallaudet
The Bison will travel to New York next weekend to play two conference rivals starting Saturday, Jan. 16, against SUNY Cobleskill at 1 p.m.