MARCY, N.Y. – The Gallaudet University men's basketball team increased its season best winning streak to four games with a solid 76-58 victory over SUNY Poly here Sunday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) showdown. The Bison (7-5, 4-2 NEAC) win hands SUNY Poly (5-8, 4-1 NEAC) its first loss in conference play this season.
Senior guard Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) posted a career game as he poured in 22 points as he made 6 of 7 shots from the field and was a perfect 9-for-9 from the free throw line to pace the Bison attack. Bonheyo passed out a team-high four assists and grabbed four rebounds.
A trio of Bison scored 13 points including senior guard Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.), junior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) and sophomore Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.). McGriff and Cruz notched double-doubles with 10 rebounds each and McGriff swatted away four shots down in the paint.
The Bison asserted control on the court in the first half, seemingly having an answer for every Wildcat scoring play as they slowly but surely built a 10-point lead, 38-28, at halftime.
Unlike Saturday when the Bison had a near scare in the second half, they made sure that the Wildcats would never cut the lead to single-digits. GU led by as much as 22 points late in the game and emptied the bench to give younger players some valuable playing time.
Gallaudet clamped down on defense in the second half holding SUNY Poly to only 31.3 percent shooting from the field (10 of 32) and 22.2 percent (2 of 9) from 3-point range while the Bison shot 47.8 percent (11 of 23) from the field.
- Bonheyo's previous career-high was 16 points in the first game of the season
- McGriff collected his fourth double-double of the season and Cruz had his second
- Gallaudet forced 19 SUNY Poly turnovers, converting them into 15 points
- Gallaudet recorded a season-high 24 free throws made
- Bison shot a season-high 80 percent (24 out of 30) from the free throw line
- McGriff recorded four blocks, a season best, for a second straight game
- 13 Bison players saw playing time
- This was Gallaudet's first win over SUNY Poly since Jan. 6, 2013, when the Bison won 64-56 at home
- SUNY Poly had won the last three meetings against Gallaudet entering today's game
Gallaudet will next travel to Chambersburg, Pa., on Wednesday, Jan. 20, to take on NEAC South Division foe Wilson College (2-8, 1-4 NEAC) at 5 p.m.