NEW YORK - The Gallaudet University men's basketball lost its season opener, 78-64, to Yeshiva College here Sunday in a non-conference game to spoil the debut for new head coach Kevin Kovacs.
Gallaudet (0-1) trailed for the majority of the game and went into halftime down 40-29.
Senior Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) led the Bison with 19 points, as he made three three-pointers, to go with a team-high eight rebounds and three assists. Senior Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) chipped in 16 points, as he made 6 of 10 from the free-throw line, and passed out a team-high four assists.
Yeshiva (1-0) was led by Shelby Rosenberg who scored a game-high 20 points, seven steals, six rebounds and six assists. Michael Berg added 19 points, six assists, five rebounds and five steals in the win.
- Junior Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) added eight points and seven rebounds off the bench
- Sophomore Rashad Gatlin (Chicago, Ill.) chipped in eight points
- GU's bench outscored Yeshiva, 24-6
- Yeshiva scored 37 points off GU's 32 turnovers
- Yeshiva's largest lead was 21 points, 78-57, late in the second half
- GU scored the game's final seven points
- The game was tied twice and featured one lead change
- Gallaudet lost last year to Yeshiva, 74-73 in overtime, in the Field House
Gallaudet has 10 days to rest and prepare to travel to Towson, Md., and go up against Towson University from the Division I ranks. The Bison will play at the SECU Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 25, at 2 p.m.