WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team went head-to-head against Bryn Athyn College, for the second time this season, here Wednesday night in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division game.
The Bison (5-2, 4-0 NEAC) put together a dominate performance in a 63-42 victory before 420 fans in the Field House. The win completed the season series after GU squeaked by the Lions (3-4, 2-2 NEAC), 69-66, in Bryn Athyn, Pa., on Nov. 29.
Gallaudet's strong defense allowed them to build a double-digit lead in the first seven minutes of the game. For the remainder of the game, the Lions tried to cut into the Bison lead but Gallaudet always responded, which allowed it to maintain a double-digit lead throughout the game.
GU was led by senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) who earned a double-double with a game best 15 points and 10 rebounds. Nelson went 3 for 5 from behind the 3-point line and added six assists. Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) continued to demonstrate his scoring ability as he tallied 13 points and eight rebounds.
The Bison finished the first half with a 17-point lead, 31-14, and continued to add to it in the second half. The Bison increased their lead to 30 points in the second half but the Lions refused to quit. Bryn Athyn was able to cut the lead to 21 points late in the second half but the lead that the Bison had built proved to be too much for the Lions to overcome before time expired.
- Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) was hindered by foul trouble as he logged 12 minutes of play where he was limited to four points and six rebounds
- Senior center Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) came off the bench to net six points, five rebounds and four assists
- Sophomore guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) shot 4 of 6 from the field, to record eight points and three assists
- Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) chalked-up nine points, two assists and two rebounds
- Junior forward Derek Keels (San Diego, Calif.) hauled in seven rebounds for the Bison
- Gallaudet outscored Bryn Athyn in the paint, 30-18
- GU earned 20 points off of 18 Bryn Athyn turnovers
- Gallaudet out worked Bryn Athyn on the glass as it collected 15 more rebounds, 47-32
The Bison will tip-off against Goucher College (2-7) in the Field House on Friday, Dec. 9, at 6 p.m. in a non-conference game.