CAZENOVIA, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team extended its win streak to nine consecutive games here Saturday afternoon as the Bison defeated Cazenovia College, 73-57, in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) crossover game. Gallaudet (15-3, 13-0 NEAC South) continues its best start in program history and remains perfect in conference play.
Gallaudet and Cazenovia (2-15, 2-7 NEAC North) traded baskets for the first 20 minutes of the game as things remained close. The Bison took a 34-27 lead into halftime.
The Bison went on a 20-6 run in the second half to take a 57-39 lead at the 10:29 mark. Although the Wildcats continued to fight, they were unable to stop the Bison offense from scoring. Gallaudet increased its lead to 24 points before Cazenovia cut the margin to 16 when the final horn sounded.
GU was led by seniors Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) and Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) as the duo combined to score 32 points and grab 19 rebounds. Nelson tallied 17 points, hauled in seven rebounds and dished out three assists. McGriff recorded a double-double with 15 points and 12 rebounds and made five.
Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) scored 12 points and had three rebounds and three assists.
The Wildcats were led by Nicholas Filippi who had 18 points, four assists and two rebounds.
- McGriff moved up to 12th on the all-time scoring list with his 17 points
- McGriff currently has 1,240 career points as he passed Mike Stultz (1,226) and Tony Tatum (1,237)
- McGriff has eight double-doubles this season
- McGriff has made five or more blocks in five different games this season
- Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) put up 11 points, eight rebounds, three assists and two steals
- Saturday marks the 10th consecutive game that Cruz has scored double-digits for the Bison
- Senior center Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) came off the bench and scored eight points and grabbed three rebounds
- Sophomore Derek Keels (San Diego, Calif.) poured in six points, two rebounds, two assists, two steals
- The Bison out-rebounded the Wildcats, 53-41
- The 53 rebounds are the second most by the Bison in a game this season
- Gallaudet netted 14 points off of 12 Cazenovia turnovers
Gallaudet looks to rest up before they take on Morrisville State College (10-5, 7-2 NEAC North) on the road tomorrow (Sunday, Jan. 29) at 2 p.m. in a NEAC showdown. Morrisville St., a three-time NEAC champion, reached the conference championship last year but fell to Lancaster Bible College.