HARRISONBURG, Va. - Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) surpassed 1,000 career points here Saturday afternoon as Gallaudet University lost 99-75 to Eastern Mennonite University at the Yoder Arena. GU split its two men's basketball games in the EMU Tip-Off Tournament this weekend.
McGriff netted his 1,000th point at the 14:26 mark in the second half with a dunk that made the score 68-52 in favor of the host Royals. McGriff becomes the 24th player in Gallaudet men's basketball history to reach the 1,000-point plateau.
Gallaudet (1-1) used a 10-0 run late in the first half to get back in the game as it only trailed by two, 39-37, with 3:19 left before halftime. The Royals (2-1) responded with their own 12-2 run to take a 51-39 lead into intermission.
The Bison got the lead down to 10 points, 68-58, eight minutes into the second half but the Royals pulled away. EMU used a 21-5 run in an eight-minute span to put the game out of reach.
McGriff scored a season-high 30 points as he made 14 of 19 shots and grabbed 15 rebounds (eight defensive boards) to go with five blocks, one steal and one assist. Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) added 15 points, 12 rebounds, three assists, three steals and one block.
McGriff and Cruz were named to the all-tournament team.
Four different Roayls reached double figures led by Maleke Jones' 28-point performance as he made 8 of 13 shots from 3-point range. EMU scored 41 points off 27 GU turnovers. The Royals bench scored 45 points in the 24-point win.
- Senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) scored eight points, three steals and three assists
- Sophomore guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) chipped in seven points
- A night after scoring 27 points, freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) only made 1 of 10 shots for two points
- GU made seven blocks in the game
- The Bison held a 44-29 edge in rebounds
- Gallaudet had a 50-26 lead in points in the paint
- This is the second straight year a Bison player reached 1,000 career points as Trey Gordon reached the mark last season
- McGriff was one point shy of tying his career-high for points in a game (31)
- The 99 points surrendered are the most by a Bison team since GU lost 112-69 to York (Pa.) College on Feb. 20, 2008
Gallaudet will host St. Mary's (Md.) College in the home opener for the Bison on Tuesday, Nov. 22, at 6 p.m. The Bison team has partnered with the Capital Area Food Bank to collect canned goods before the start of the game. If you attend the game on Tuesday you will receive $1 off the admission price for every canned good donated, with a maximum of $3 off your admission. All collected items will be donated to the Capital Area Food Bank on Wednesday, Nov. 23.