WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team defeated Goucher College, 83-72, on its home court here Friday evening in a non-conference game to extend its win streak to five games.
Gallaudet (6-2) outplayed Goucher (2-8) from start-to-finish by forcing 17 Gopher turnovers, and holding them to 42 percent from the field. The Bison never gave up the lead and went into halftime up 39-24. The 15-point lead came after holding Goucher to just nine made baskets.
The Bison were led by senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) and senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) as the duo scored 23 points each. McGriff brought down 10 rebounds, made three blocks and dished out two assists. He now has six double-doubles on the season and has scored at least 20 points in four games. Nelson scored a season-high 23 points, tallied seven rebounds, three assists and two steals in the win.
Goucher was led by Jesse Mondry (15 points, seven rebounds) and Elliott Wiley (18 points, three rebounds).
- Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) netted 16 points and brought down three rebounds
- Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) had eight rebounds, scored five points and dished out three assists
- Senior center Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) scored a season-high 10 points
- Gallaudet scored 31 points in the paint.
- GU collected 11 more rebounds than Goucher, 41-30
- The 83 points ties the most points scored by the Bison this season
- The Bison committed a season low 16 fouls
- GU made seven 3-pointers, second most this year
- Gallaudet went 24 of 32 from the free-throw line, its best of the season
The Bison will take the week off before they return to the court on Saturday, Dec. 17, host Gwynedd Mercy at 2 p.m.