WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team gave returning alumni something to cheer about here Saturday as the Bison defeated Lancaster Bible College, 75-65, in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game before a crowd of 513 in the Field House.
Gallaudet (17-4, 15-1 NEAC) celebrated its program record for conference wins in a season (15) and inched closer to the program record for wins in a season (18) on alumni day.
The Bison posted their best shooting percentage of the season as they made of 27 of 47 shots from the field (57.4 percent), including seven 3-pointers. GU was lights out in the second half as it made of 13 of 19 shots (68.4 percent) and made 4 of 5 shots from 3-point range. GU led 35-26 after the first 20 minutes of play.
Lancaster Bible (8-11, 8-6 NEAC) got within three points, 40-37, at the 15:12 mark in the second half. GU responded with a 21-5 run in a span of eight minutes to take its largest lead of the game at 61-41.
Four of Gallaudet's starters had 12 or more points in the victory. Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) led the way with 16 points, five rebounds and three assists. Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) scored 15 points while senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) added 14 points, six assists, four rebounds and three steals. Sophomore guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) scored 11 of his 12 points in the first half.
The Chargers, the defending NEAC champions, had four players reach double figures led by Herbie Brown's 13-point game and six rebounds. Three other players scored 10 points in the loss.
- Sophomore Derek Keels (San Diego, Calif.) came off the bench to score seven points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals
- Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) tallied five points and five rebounds
- GU held a 34-24 edge in points in the paint
- The Bison scored 18 points off 22 turnovers committed by the Chargers
- Gallaudet led for over 34 minutes
- GU has won 11 of its past 12 games
- The Bison have made 12 or more steals in eight games this season
- GU completes the season series sweep of the Chargers for the first time since the 2012-13 season
- The series record is tied 7-7 between the two schools
- GU last defeated Lancaster Bible in the Field House on Jan. 31, 2015 with a 64-46 victory
Gallaudet will host Penn St.-Berks (4-14, 4-10 NEAC) tomorrow (Sunday, Feb. 5) at 2 p.m.