WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. - Four different Gallaudet University men's basketball starters reached double figures as the Bison defeated Penn College, 82-63, on the road Sunday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division contest.
Gallaudet (11-3, 9-0 NEAC) remains perfect in conference play, its best start in program history, as 13 different Bison saw action in the 19-point victory. GU has won five straight and is undefeated in January at 5-0.
Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) led the way with a double-double with 15 points and 16 rebounds (10 on the defensive end) to go with four blocks, two assists and one steal. Fellow senior Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) scored 18 points, seven assists, four rebounds and one steal.
Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) tallied 13 points, four assists and two steals while junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) poured in 12 points, grabbed seven rebounds, two assists and one steal.
The Bison shot a season best 57.1 percent from the field (36 of 63) and made six 3-pointers.
GU raced out to a 12-4 lead in the first five minutes of the game and increased the first half margin to 11 points before taking a 38-29 lead into halftime. The Bison outscored the Wildcats 44-34 in the second half.
Penn College was led by Erik Eichinger and Marquis Delgado who scored 12 and 11 points, respectively.
- Sophomore guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) added eight points, six rebounds and two steals
- Sophomore Derek Keels (San Diego, Calif.) scored five points off the bench
- Senior Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) added five points, two rebounds and two blocks
- GU received 16 points from its bench
- The Bison scored 18 points off 15 Penn College turnovers
- Gallaudet held a big advantage in the paint as it outscored Penn College, 56-26
- GU had 14 second chance points as it brought down nine offensive rebounds
- The 82 points scored is the third highest this season
- Gallaudet has grabbed 40 or more rebounds in every game this season
- For the third time this season GU made eight blocks in a game
- The Bison complete the season series sweep of Penn College after defeating the Wildcats 78-71 last weekend
The Bison will have the week off as school resumes on Tuesday. Gallaudet will begin a three-game homestand on Saturday, Jan. 21, against SUNY Poly (8-4, 5-1 NEAC) at 4 p.m.