MARCY, N.Y. - The Gallaudet men's basketball team gave up a close game in a five-point loss, 82-77, to SUNY Poly here Sunday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game.
The Bison (6-15, 6-7 NEAC) led early in the first half before they finally relinquished the lead in the final minutes to the Wildcats (15-6, 11-1 NEAC), who pulled ahead with a three-point lead, 39-36, at intermission.
GU came out hot in the second half as the Bison went on a 15-2 run. Gallaudet made four three-pointers from long range and added three more points on a lay up and foul shot. The Bison led 51-41 at the 15:56 mark.
Gallaudet held the lead for the majority of the second half until the final two minutes. The Wildcats ramped up their pressure and made some key shots to complete the comeback win.
Senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) scored a double-double with team-high 28 points and 10 rebounds. He drained a three-pointer with seven seconds left to cut SUNY Poly's lead to one, 78-77.
SUNY Poly forward Kevin Williams scored a game-high 29 points and completed the double-double with 18 rebounds. The Wildcat's Redell Freeman (13 points) and Malik Johnson (10 points) passed out a game-high five assists in the win.
- Junior guard Jawaun Jackson (Downey, Calif.) made a team-high five assists
- Junior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) grabbed game-high three steals
- The Bison were outrebounded by the Wildcats, 35-33
- GU made 9 of 24 shots from three-point range (37.5 percent)
- The games featured 10 ties and seven lead changes
- The game experienced seven lead changes and ten ties
Gallaudet will host Bryn Athyn College (8-14, 5-8 NEAC) at home Wednesday, Feb. 7, at 5 p.m. in the Field House on Padden Court.