WALLA WALLA, Wash. - The Bison of Gallaudet University knew they had a stern task here Saturday night as they went up against the No. 1 ranked team in NCAA Division III. Top-ranked Whitman College demonstrated why it is considered the best team in the country as the Blues (2-0) won 122-58 over the Bison (0-3).
The Bison hung around with Whitman College early on but the Blues began to distance themselves midway through the first half. Whitman took a 59-30 lead into halftime. Whitman made 11 of 22 shots from 3-point range in the game's first 20 minutes.
Gallaudet was outscored 63-28 in the second half.
Sophomore guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) led the Bison with 13 points as he made 3 of 8 shots from 3-point range. Freshman Lance Wood (Fishers, ind.) had nine points and five rebounds off the bench.
Whitman was led by Joey Hewitt's 25 points as he made 9 of 16 shots from the field. The Blues had six players in double figures and another two players with nine points each.
The Blues scored 62 points off 36 Bison turnovers in the game.
- GU shot 46.7 percent from the field (21 of 45)
- The Bison grabbed 34 rebounds (28 defensive rebounds)
- Whitman's bench scored 56 points
- This is the first time GU surrendered 100+ points since the 2007-08 season
- The 122 points are the most the Bison have given up since they allowed 124 to Hood on Feb. 2, 2008, in a double overtime game
Gallaudet will rest up the next two days while exploring the Pacific Northwest before its final game of the trip on Tuesday, Nov. 21, against George Fox University (0-1). The game is slated to tip at 8 p.m. (EST)/5 p.m. (PST).