WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University won half of its events here Saturday to defeat Bridgewater (Va.) College, 103-97, in a non-conference meet in the Field House pool on senior day.
Senior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.) played a major role in the win as he won three individual events and one relay. Tikhonoff set a new personal record in the 200-yard butterfly with a first-place time of 2:13.50. He was also first to touch the wall in the 200-yard breaststroke (2:29.84) and the 100-yard freestyle (55.45). He was also a member of the first-place 200-yard medley relay team that won in 1:59.93. Tikhonoff was joined by fellow senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.) along with freshman Benjamin Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) and junior Mackenzie Shannon (Winnetka, Ill.).
Sealts improved on his Gallaudet record time in the 200-yard backstroke as he shaved down his old time of 1:58.41 to 1:58.11 to win the event. The freshman was also first in the 100-yard backstroke (55.27) and the 200-yard IM (2:04.36).
Bruno and Simons finished second and third, respectively, in the 500- and 1,000-yard freestyle events to pick-up crucial team points. Bruno posted times of 7:33.18 and 16:00.99 while Simons clocked in at 9:15.25 and 18:35.45.
- Shannon took second in the 200-yard freestyle (2:41.11), third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:15.30)
- Freshman Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas) was third in the 100-yard backstroke (1:32.15)
- Freshman Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) set a new personal record in the 50-yard freestyle (54.07) where he was third
- Liu finished third in the 200-yard breaststroke (4:16.14)
- GU's 200-yard freestyle relay team of Bruno, Jala, Simons and Liu finished second (2:39.73)
- There were no diving events
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|50 freestyle||Xiangming Liu||55.28||54.07|
|100 backstroke||Rett Jala||1:37.13||1:32.15|
|200 backstroke||Benjamin Sealts||1:58.41||1:58.11*|
|200 butterfly||Jonathan Tikhonoff||2:14.34||2:13.50|
* Gallaudet record
Gallaudet will wrap-up the regular-season schedule next Saturday, Jan. 20, against Stevenson University at 2:30 p.m. The meet will be held at nearby McDonogh School in Owings Mills, Md.