OWINGS MILLS, Md. - Gallaudet University closed out its men's swimming and diving regular-season schedule here Saturday on the up swing with a second straight win. The Bison defeated Stevenson University, 136-53, at the McDonogh School as Gallaudet improved its record to 4-6.
Gallaudet won 10 of the 14 events it competed in. Freshman Benjamin Sealts (Ottawa, Ohio) set a school record in the 100-yard breaststroke when he touched the wall in 1:04.46 to improve on Chris Martinez's old mark of 1:04.48 set last season. Sealts also finished first in the 100-yard IM (57.27) and was second in the 100-yard butterfly (55.90) as he barely lost to Stevenson's Zac Cather (55.82).
Senior Jonathan Tikhonoff (Folsom, Calif.) won three events as he took first in the 50- and 100-yard backstroke events with times of 28.73 and 1:00.63, respectively, and first in the 500-yard freestyle (5:18.34). Tikhonoff was also a member of the first-place 200-yard medley relay (2:01.62) along with Sealts, junior Mackenzie Shannon (Winnetka, Ill.) and senior David Bruno (Patchogue, N.Y.).
Bruno was first in the 1,000-yard freestyle as he raced the clock and finished with a time of 16:27.27. Shannon took first in the 100-yard freestyle (1:14.69).
Gallaudet's 200-yard freestyle relay team of freshman Rett Jala (McAllen, Texas), Bruno, freshman Xiangming Liu (Dandong, China) and Brian Podlisny (Sharon, Mass.) closed out the meet with a first-place finish (2:21.49).
Stevenson (0-10) won four events in the loss.
- Jala was second in the 200-yard freestyle (2:59.99), a new personal best, as he shaved off 23 seconds from his previous best time
- Jala and Podlisny were second and third, respectively, in the 50-yard freestyle with times of 31.71 and 32 flat
- Jala took second in the 100-yard backstroke (1:29.29), another personal best
- Podlisny was third in the 100-yard freestyle (1:16.32)
- Shannon took second in the 50-yard breaststroke (42.55) with a new personal record
- Shannon was also second in the 50-yard butterfly (32.72)
- Bruno was third in the 50-yard breaststroke (43.31) as he erased over seven seconds off his previous best time
- Liu was third in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:59.41)
- There was no diving event
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|50 freestyle||Rett Jala||34.20||31.18|
|50 breaststroke||Mackenzie Shannon||43.28||42.55|
|50 breaststroke||David Bruno||50.74||43.31|
|50 breaststroke||Xiangming Liu||53.67||53.35|
|100 breaststroke||Benjamin Sealts||1:06.35||1:04.46*|
|100 backstroke||Rett Jala||1:32.15||1:29.29|
|100 freestyle||Xiangming Liu||2:08.36||1:53.70|
|200 freestyle||Rett Jala||3:23.25||2:59.99|
* Gallaudet record
Gallaudet completes its regular-season schedule and will next prepare for the 2018 North Eastern Athletic Conference championship which will be held Feb. 16-18 in Cobleskill, N.Y. The Bison finished second in last year's conference championship.