CARLISLE, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's indoor track and field sprinters continued to excel here Saturday as they led the team to a seventh place finish out of 16 teams that competed at the DuCharme Invitational hosted by Dickinson College.
The Bison combined for 43 team points as it trailed Messiah College (112.50), Lebanon Valley College (77), Dickinson (68), Delaware Valley University (60), Juniata College (60) and Susquehanna University (51).
GU's top finishes came in the 55-meter dash, 55-meter hurdles, 200-meter dash, 400-meter dash and 4x200 meter relay.
Junior Toraneau Varice (Deerfield, Fla.) had an explosive day for the Bison as he scored points in two individual events. Varice qualified for the final heat of the 55-meter dash after he crossed the finish line in 6.82 seconds of the preliminary round.
In the final heat of the event, Varice slipped coming out of the blocks but still crossed the finish line in 6.79 seconds, three one hundreths of a second faster then he finished in the preliminary heat. His time earned him a sixth place finish in the event and three team points.
Varice returned to the track for the 200-meter dash where he placed second out of 35 runners with a time 23.66 seconds to earn eight more team points for the Bison.
Finishing just behind Varice was freshman sprinter Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.), who placed third in the event with a time of 23.91 seconds, and earned six more points.
Jones added another six points for the Bison when he finished third in the 400-meter dash (53.77)
Junior Gunner Hahn showcased his speed in the 55-meter hurdles and qualified for the final heat after crossing the finish line in 8.65 seconds of the preliminary round. He took sixth place in the final heat as he finished in 8.64 seconds to grab three more team points.
- Jones was one one-hundreth of a second shy of qualifying for the final heat in the 55-meter dash (6.87)
- Gray finished one position short of adding more team points for the Bison in the long jump when he jumped 5.97 meters (19 feet, seven inches) to place ninth
- Senior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) raced in the 55-meter hurdles where he placed 14th (10.01) and the 800-meter run where he placed 23rd (2:09.50)
- Freshman long distance runner David Hernandez (Jacksonville, Texas) placed 11th in the 1,000-meter run when he clocked in at 3:56.11
- Sophomore Lorenzo Fuller (Miami, Fla.) cleared 1.5 meters (four feet, 11 inches) in the high jump to take 11th place
- Freshman Spencer Maples (Kempner, Texas) pole vaulted 3.8 meters (12 feet, five inches) to take 11th place as he was just shy of the Gallaudet program record
The Bison will travel back to Selinsgrove, Pa., on Saturday, Feb. 18, to participate in the SU Invitational hosted by Susquehanna University. The events will start at 9:30 a.m.