SALISBURY, Md. - The Gallaudet University men's track and field team opened up outdoor competition here Saturday as they competed in the Lloyd Sigler Spring Meet hosted by Salisbury University. The Bison finished fifth out of five teams with 49 team points.
Freshman sprinter Nick Jones (Fulton, Mo.) won the 400-meter dash with a time of 54.36 seconds to beat out several top runners from Salisbury and Christopher Newport University. Junior Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas) was ninth in the same event with a time of 59.71.
Sprinter Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) was third in the 100-meter dash (11.45) and the 200-meter dash (23.50). Jones was close behind Varice in the 200-meter dash as he crossed the finish line in fifth place (23.56).
Sophomore Gunner Hahn (Stevens Point, Wis.) was fifth in the 110-meter hurdles (17.36) as he was less then a second behind the first-place winner (16.39). Hahn was also fifth in the high jump as he cleared 1.63 meters (five feet, 4.25 inches).
Gallaudet's 4x100 meter relay team of Roberts, Varice, freshman Jack Gray (Atherton, Calif.) and Jones finished second with a time of 45.17 seconds.
Gray was the top Bison in the long jump as he placed ninth with a leap of 5.65 meters (18 feet, 6.5 inches). Jones was close behind him in 10th with a jump of 5.62 meters (18 feet, 5.25 inches).
Freshman JaQuan Thomas (Midway, Ga.) was seventh in the shot put as he made a toss of 10.64 meters (34 feet, 11 inches). Freshman David Bradley (Miami Gardens, Fla.) was ninth with his best throw of 10.15 meters (33 feet, 3.75 inches).
Jamie Groff was eighth in the discus throw with a toss of 20.38 meters (66 feet, 10 inches) as he was followed by fellow Bison Ronald Mattingly (Coconut Creek, Fla.) with a toss of 19.70 meters (64 feet, seven inches).
The host Sea Gulls won the meet with 306 points and was followed by Christopher Newport (155), Rowan College at Gloucester County (86) and Howard Community College (82).
- Christenberry was sixth in the high jump as he cleared 1.58 meters (five feet, 2.25 inches)
- Hahn was 16th in the 400-meter hurdles (1:08.41)
- Freshamn Carter Janorschke (Litchfield, Minn.) was 14th in the 1,500-meter run (5:28.88) and 15th in the 800-meter run (2:41.94)
- Fellow Minnesotan Timothy Olakunle (Maplewood, Minn.) was right behind Janorschke in the same events. He was 15th in the 1,500-meter run (6:07.36) and 16th in the 800-meter run (2:56.79)
- Roberts was 12th in the long jump as he jumped 5.28 meters (17 feet, four inches)
- Christenberry was 13th in the long jump with a jump of 5.24 meters (17 feet, 2.25 inches)
Gallaudet will take the next two weeks off for Spring Break before getting back into the outdoor schedule on Saturday, March 25, in Towson, Md., at the Goucher Classic.