LANCASTER, Pa. - The Gallaudet University men's cross country team returned to the site of where it won last year's Lancaster Bible College Homecoming Invitational here Thursday. A different Bison team, missing four top runners from a year ago, placed ninth overall as the invitational field ballooned from four teams to 12 this year.
Gallaudet accumulated 262 team points as it edged out North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foes Bryn Athyn College (287) and Penn College (293) who finished 10th and 11th, respectively.
Lebanon Valley College won the meet with 21 points as it's top five runners placed second, third, fourth, fifth and seventh.
McDaniel College runner Jim Heilman won the 8K race in 27 minutes, 30 seconds, as he was the first of 95 runners to cross the finish line.
GU's top runner was freshman Kai Christenberry (Birmingham, Ala.) who placed 47th overall with a time of 33:41 followed by junior John Isaacson (Clive, Iowa) in 48th place (33:49). Sophomore James Weichel (Bradenton, Fla.) finished 65th (36:22) followed by freshman Dalton Attanasi (Hammonton, N.J.) in 68th (36:58) and freshman Jordan Manges (South Bend, Ind.) in 76th (38:33) round out Gallaudet's top five runners that scored team points.
- Junior Joshua Branscomb (Memphis, Tenn.) finished 81st overall (39:12)
- Freshman Daniel Carson (Roanoke Rapids, N.C.) placed 84th (39:51)
- Sophomore Toraneau Varice (Deerfield Beach, Fla.) finished 91st (45:49)
- Freshman Harsh Shah (Philadelphia, Pa.) was 93rd (47:20) followed by fellow freshman David Hernandez (Jacksonville, Texas) in 94th (48:55)
- LBC is hosting this year's NEAC cross country championships
- This is the first of three races GU will run on this course this season
GU will run this Saturday (Sept. 24) at the Hornet Harrier hosted by Shenandoah University at the Kernstown Battlefield in Winchester, Va., at 10:40 a.m.