CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. – Gallaudet University controlled Wednesday night's women's basketball game from start to finish as the Bison defeated Wilson College, 71-46, here in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division contest. The Bison (7-6, 6-3 NEAC) pulled away from the Phoenix (2-10, 0-9 NEAC) in the second quarter as they outscored the host 22-6.
GU took a 42-20 lead into halftime and continued to build on the 22-point margin in the third quarter with 16 additional points to Wilson's nine.
Sophomore guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) finished with a game-high 19 points, four assists and a career-high six steals. Sophomore forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) recorded her first career double-double with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Senior guard Zamica Gage (Washington, D.C.) added 10 steals and a game-high eight assists in the win.
A trio of freshmen led the Phoenix as guard Jordyn Day scored a team-high 18 points, Amber Watkins (16 points) grabbed a team-high seven rebounds and Ashley Henderson dished out five assists.
- Gallaudet had a 51-32 rebounding advantage over Wilson
- GU forced a season-high 37 turnovers with a season-high 28 steals, scored 32 points off those turnovers
- Gage's 10 steals tied her career-high, first accomplished on Jan. 10, 2015, against Penn College
- Senior guard Danielle Warren (San Jose, Calif.) tied her season-high steals total (five)
- Freshman Kelli Barnes (Hope Mills, N.C.) tied her career-high mark for rebounds (six)
- Senior forward Danielle Morris (St. Louis, Mich.) had 11 rebounds and tied her career-high with six offensive rebounds
- This is the second consecutive game that Hudson scored 12 points, a career-high
- The Bison bench outscored the Phoenix bench, 21-2
- GU played 12 players, who saw valuable playing time
The Bison are slated to host Cazenovia College and Morrisville State College this weekend at the Field House. An official decision on the status of these games will be made on Thursday.