WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team was unable to keep up with Penn St.-Abington here Thursday evening as they fell to the Nittany Lions, 73-57, in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) game in the Field House.
After a strong first quarter, turnovers by the Bison (2-9, 2-5 NEAC) hindered the team from maintaining their offensive rhythm as they were outscored by the Nittany Lions (6-5, 4-2 NEAC) in the second, third and fourth quarters.
Gallaudet's offense was led by sophomore forward Kelli Barnes (Hope Mills, N.C.), who racked up a game high 21 points and a game-high 14 rebounds for her third double-double of the season. Barnes also added two blocks and a steal to her stat line in 37 minutes played.
Freshman guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas), who fouled out early in the fourth quarter, was the second-leading scorer for the Bison with 14 points, five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
Penn St.-Abington was led by Shayna Rodriguez, who posted a double-double (21 points and 11 rebounds). Marah Hayes also contributed with 18 points, four rebounds and four steals for the visiting Nittany Lions.
- Junior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored eight points and 10 rebounds
- Junior guard Kori Koss (Delavan, Wis.) dished out six assists, scored five points and collected four rebounds
- Junior forward Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) posted eight rebounds, three points, two assists, two blocks and two steals
- Gallaudet out-rebounded Penn St.-Abington 51-48 and scored 20 points off of 20 offensive rebounds
- The Bison gave up 27 points off of 29 turnovers
Gallaudet hits the road this weekend when they travel to Morristown, N.J., to take on College of Saint Elizabeth (7-5, 5-2 NEAC) in a conference game on Saturday, Jan. 14, at 1 p.m.