WASHINGTON - A strong start by the Gallaudet University women's basketball team was short-lived as SUNY Poly used a 19-0 run to take the lead for good. The Wildcats went into halftime up 39-20 and won the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) contest, 68-53, here Saturday in the Field House.
Gallaudet (2-12, 2-8 NEAC South Division) missed 13 shots and turned the ball over five times during the SUNY Poly run that stretched from the end of the first quarter until the two-minute mark in the second quarter.
GU was led offensively by freshman guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) as she scored 23 points as she made 11 of 26 shots from the field. Smith made eight steals, six assists and grabbed six rebounds.
The Bison had a hard time slowing down SUNY Poly guard Stevie Ray, who scored 18 of her game-high 29 points in the first half. Kristaijah Jackson chipped in 15 points and six rebounds in the win for the Wildcats (13-1, 7-0 NEAC North).
- Junior guard Kori Koss (Delavan, Wis.) grabbed a career best 13 rebounds to go with nine points, five assists and four steals
- Junior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) scored eight points, 10 rebounds and two steals
- Sophomore Kelli Barnes (Cliffside, N.C.) added five points, five rebounds before she fouled out
- The 16 steals are the second most for GU this season
- This was the seventh game the Bison have grabbed 50 or more rebounds
- Smith's eight steals matches her career-high
- This is the second straight game Smith scored 23 points
- GU scored 40 points in the paint
- The Bison scored 22 points off of 21 SUNY Poly turnovers
Gallaudet will host SUNY Cobleskill (7-7, 3-4 NEAC North) tomorrow (Sunday, Jan. 22) at noon for a conference game.