SCHENECTADY, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team opened regular season competition here Friday evening as they were defeated by Union (N.Y.) College, 66-34, in a non-conference game.
Freshman guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) made her collegiate debut leading the Bison (0-1) with 20 points and 10 rebounds, earning her first double-double of her collegiate career. Smith also added seven steals for the Bison. Junior guard Tuesdae Dunklin (Gardendale, Ala.) also added seven points and one rebound in the loss.
GU jumped out to an early 5-1 lead in the first quarter but the Dutchwomen (2-0) battled back. By the end of the first quarter Union (N.Y.) had built up a 10-point lead, 21-11.
Gallaudet was able to cut the deficit to six points early in the second quarter, but turnovers by the Bison enabled the Dutchwomen to build a 36-16 lead as the final seconds of the second quarter ran off the clock.
The Dutchwomen, led by Jenni Barra (14 points, three rebounds) and Nicole Conley (13 points, seven steals), were able to maintain their lead in the second half, outscoring the Bison in the third quarter, 17-11, and in the fourth quarter, 13-7.
The final score was 66-34 in favor of Union (N.Y.).
- Junior guard/forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) had four points and seven rebounds for the Bison
- Junior forward Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) added two points, five rebounds and two steals for the Bison
- GU out rebounded Union (N.Y.) by five, 41-36
- The Bison scored seven second chance points off of 15 offensive rebounds
- Gallaudet scored 16 points off of 29 turnovers by the Dutchwomen
Gallaudet will travel southwest for three hours down to Elmira, N.Y., to face the Elmira College Soaring Eagles (0-4) on Sunday, Nov. 27, at 2 p.m.