CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team was able to close out the 2016-17 season with a win here Saturday as they defeated North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foe Wilson College, 83-63.
Gallaudet (3-22, 3-17 NEAC) and Wilson (5-20, 2-18 NEAC) were in a close game, early on, as the two teams traded the lead nine times in the first 27 minutes. GU led 36-29 at the half.
However, the Bison were determined to end their season on a high note and made a 10-2 run in the final three minutes of the third quarter to take a 58-50 lead into the fourth.
The Phoenix tried to fight their way back into the game but the Bison refused to let up and locked down defensively. Gallaudet ended up outscoring Wilson by 12, 25-13, in the fourth quarter to secure the victory. The win snaps a 15-game losing streak.
GU saw four of its five starters reach double-digits. Junior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) was the leading scorer as she recorded a double-double with 21 points and a game-high 15 rebounds. Freshman guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) and junior guard Kori Koss (Delavan, Wis.) were also major contributors for the Bison. Smith had 18 points, eight rebounds, nine assists and seven steals while Koss netted 15 points, dished out four assists and added two steals. Junior forward Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska) tallied 11 points, five rebounds and two assists.
Wilson's Jordyn Day had a big day as she dropped a game-high 29 points in the loss.
- Freshman forward Tiffany Anderson (Forest Lake, Minn.) came off the bench and scored a career-high eight points and seven rebounds
- Freshman guard Brianna DiGiovanni (Rochester, N.Y.) logged 13 minutes and added seven points and six rebounds, both career best totals
- Gallaudet shot a season best 48.6 percent from the field (34 of 70)
- GU out-rebounded Wilson, 52-32
- Gallaudet has grabbed 50 or more rebounds in 13 games
- The Bison shot 75 percent from 3-point range (3 of 4)
- This was the fifth time this year GU had three or more 3-pointers in a game
- Gallaudet scored 37 points off of Wilson's 29 turnovers
- This was GU's first win in the month of February
- The 83 points scored are the second most this season by the Bison
- Hudson had eight double-doubles this season
- Smith's nine assists are a career high
- In GU's three wins this season it won by a margin of 20 or more points
This concludes the 2016-17 GU women's basketball season. The future is bright for the young Bison squad as they are slated to return the entire team next year along with adding several new recruits. There were no seniors on this year's team.