WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University women's basketball team dropped its home opener 78-62 here Tuesday to Washington & Lee University in a non-conference game played in the Field House on Padden Court.
Gallaudet (1-2) played Washington & Lee (4-0) even for three of the four quarters but it was the second quarter that made the difference in the game. The Generals outscored the Bison by 16, 26-10, in the second quarter as the visitors took a 42-25 lead into halftime.
The Bison held a slight 37-36 edge in the second half in the points column.
Junior forward Hannah Neild (Litchfield, N.H.) scored a career best 28 points to go with seven rebounds, four steals, two assists and one block. Junior guard Sabina Shysh (Tucson, Ariz.) recorded a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds. Freshman guard Emelia Beldon (Frederick, Md.) scored 10 points off the bench.
W&L was paced by Katie Popp and Emily Perszyk who scored 22 and 20 points, respectively. Andy Smithey added 12 points off the bench while Stuart Ayer grabbed a game-high 14 rebounds to go with four blocks.
- Senior forward Kelsey Hudson (Blissfield, Mich.) grabbed nine rebounds
- Sophomore guard Jakkisha Smith (Dallas, Texas) added seven points, five rebounds, four steals and three assists
- The Generals had seven blocks in the game
- W&L held a 56-42 advantage in rebounds
- Both teams scored 25 points off turnovers
- W&L had a 48-26 edge in points scored in the paint
- The Generals bench scored 22 points
- Washington & Lee scored 26 second-chance points
Gallaudet will host Rutgers-Camden (2-2) on Sunday, Nov. 26, at 3 p.m.