WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University women's soccer team struck first on Sunday afternoon with an early goal against Hood College but the Blazers controlled the rest of the game en route to a 5-1 victory at Hotchkiss Field.
The Bison (0-4) scored the first goal when sophomore Justina Ercolino (Milton, Ontario) broke past the Hood defense, on a fast break, and blasted a shot past Hood goalie Alexis Andrukat in the 14th minute. Gallaudet held the 1-0 lead until the 31st minute when Hood's Jessie Herbert scored off an assist from Sarah Marcello.
Alyssa Nubgaard (three goals) scored twice to close out the first half for Hood (2-2), who took a 3-1 lead into halftime. Nubgaard completed her hat trick with 43 seconds left in the game. Hood outshot Gallaudet 36-2 and took 13 corner kicks.
- Senior goalie Jennifer Livengood (Jacksonville, Fla.) made a season-high 12 saves
- Ercolino has scored two of Gallaudet's last three goals in the past two games
- Sophomore Carina Adolph (Tucson, Ariz.) made a great team save seven minutes into the first half
- Senior Megan Calik (Conyers, Ga.) recorded GU's other shot in the game
- GU last lost to Hood, 7-0, on Oct. 1, 2014.
The Bison will return on Tuesday, Sept. 15, to host University of Valley Forge at 4 p.m.