STAUNTON, Va. - Two early second half goals helped Gallaudet University take a 2-1 lead Friday evening in a women's soccer game at Mary Baldwin College but the Bison (0-3) advantage lasted only a few minutes. Mary Baldwin (2-2) knotted the game in the 64th minute and netted the eventual game-winner in the 82nd minute as the Fighting Squirrels won, 3-2.
Sophomore Justina Ercolino (Milton, Ontario) scored her first goal of the season when she converted a penalty kick at the 57:49 mark in the second half as Gallaudet tied the game at one. Fellow sophomore Danielle Davidson (Ramsey, Minn.) scored an unassisted goal, four minutes later, as the Bison took their first and only lead.
Mary Baldwin scored in the 12th minute to take an early 1-0 lead, an advantage it took into halftime. Mayzie Lewis (two goals) shot the ball inside the upper 90 off an assist from Brenda Santamaria (two assists). The same combo connected on the game-winner for the Fighting Squirrels.
- The Bison outshot the Fighting Squirrels 11-5 in the second half
- Ercolino led the team with six shots and five shots on goal
- Senior goalie Jennifer Livengood (Jacksonville, Fla.) made five saves
- GU lost by the same score, 3-2, on the road at Mary Baldwin on Sept. 17, 2013
- Gallaudet's last win against Mary Baldwin came on Oct. 30, 2006, in a 5-1 victory
- The Bison are now 1-4-1 all-time against Mary Baldwin
The Bison will host Hood College at noon on Sunday, Sept. 13, at Hotchkiss Field in a non-conference game.