ROANOKE, Va. - The high-powered Gallaudet University women's soccer offense ventured south Sunday and came away with a 9-2 non-conference win over Hollins University.
Gallaudet (4-1) has now won three games straight to match the program's longest winning streak set back during the 2010 season. The Bison have outscored their last three opponents, 19-3. GU is off to its best start in program history and the four wins are more than the previous win totals from the previous four seasons.
Junior forward Brittany Mallach (Milton, Ontario) got things started with scoring a hat trick in the first 15 minutes of the game. Mallach ended the day with four goals scored.
Hollins (0-4) got on the scoreboard with a Ciera Morris goal in the 19th minute.
Gallaudet didn't let up in the second half as it scored four times in a nine-minute window. Mallach, Wheeler, freshman Sharon Castillo (Dallas, Texas) and Wheeler, again, accounted for GU's four goals as the lead grew to seven, 8-1.
Hollins' second goal came from Miranda Springston (one goal, one assist) in the 75th minute before freshman Jocelyn Patane (Manteca, Calif.) scored in the 82nd minute off an assist from Eve Wood-Jacobowitz (Frederick, Md.).
- Shysh led the Bison with two assists
- Freshmen Sabrina Hernandez (Ashland, Va.) and Hailey Montoya (Mentone, Calif.) added one assist each
- GU assisted on five of nine goals
- Wheeler led the team with 14 shots (six on goal)
- Mallach scored four goals on five shots
- Sophomore goalie Silvya Levesque (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) finished with seven saves
- GU held a 37-13 edge in shots
- The 37 shots ties a season best shot total
- The Bison took 10 corner kicks
Gallaudet returns home next weekend and will host Bryn Athyn College (4-1) on Saturday, Sept. 23, at 6 p.m. at Hotchkiss Field. This will be the conference opener for both teams.