ARLINGTON, Va. - The Gallaudet University women's swimming and diving team lost 126-68 to Marymount (Va.) University here Friday night in a non-conference meet.
Gallaudet (1-5) swept the 1,000-yard freestyle event as the Bison ran unopposed as three swimmers tallied 14 team points. Sophomore Elizabeth Sadler (Rochester, N.Y.) won the event as she touched the wall in 14 minutes, 35.31 seconds. She was followed by sophomore Kylie Sterling (Sumner, Wash.) and sophomore Faye Frez-Albrecht (Canton, Conn.).
Senior Brianna Stroud-Williams (Tucker, Ga.) swam strong in the 200 freestyle as she finished fourth overall with a time of 2:35.25 and just missed third place by two seconds. Freshman Irene De Luna (Indianapolis, Ind.) was fourth in the 50 free as she finished in 31.11 seconds, just under five seconds off the first-place pace. Senior Katie Bigelow (Flushing, Mich.) swam well in the 500 freestyle as she finished third with a time of 6:43.77 as she was 10 seconds behind second place.
Marymount (3-1) won eight of the first nine events to lock up the victory. The Saints swept first, second and third place in seven different events. There were a total of 11 events.
- Sadler was fourth in the 100 butterfly (1:08.06), just under five seconds of first place
- De Luna was fourth in the 100 free (1:11.37)
- Stroud-Williams was 20 seconds off the first-place time in the 100 backstroke as she touched the wall in 1:23.32
- The final two events were swam as exhibitions as the meet outcome was determined
- Sterling finished the 100 breaststroke in 1:37.18 as she was the first Bison to touch the wall
- GU lost to Marymount 126-68 last season
- In the past nine seasons the two teams have met six times, the Saints have won all meetings
- The two teams used to regularly meet when they were both members of the Capital Athletic Conference
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||New Time||Old Time|
|50 freestyle||Jana Kiefer||32.03||33.15|
|50 freestyle||Kimberly Shorette||42.40||44.98|
|50 freestyle||Kylie Sterling||33.00||35.37|
|50 backstroke||Katie Bigelow||35.15||36.49|
|100 butterfly||Alyssa Hanbury||1:30.82||1:31.05|
|100 breaststroke||Kylie Sterling||1:37.18||1:37.81|
|200 IM||Katie Bigelow||3:02.50||3:10.10|
|1000 freestyle||Faye Frez-Albrecht||16:48.36||18:11.20
The Bison turn around and host North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) foe Cedar Crest College (1-1, 1-0 NEAC) tomorrow (Saturday, Nov. 21) at 2:30 p.m. in the Field House pool. If you can be at the meet in-person you can watch the online video stream here: www.ustream.tv/channel/gallaudet-university-athletics.