AURORA, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University women's swimming and diving team split a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) double-dual meet here Saturday on the Wells College campus. The Bison defeated the host Express, 104-91, but lost to SUNY Cobleskill, 108-88.
The Bison (4-5) were led by freshman Julia Miller-Notestone (Medford, Ore.) and freshman Jackie Perkins (Hampton, Va.) who both combined for three first-place finishes. Miller-Notestone took first place in the 200-yard individual medley (IM), with a final time of 2:34.00, and took first place in the 100 backstroke, as she set a new personal record with a time of 1:08.54.
Perkins earned a first-place finish in the 100 breaststroke edging out the competition with a final time of 1:16.87. She would also go on to finish in fifth place in the 100 freestyle (1:09.92)
Junior Jana Kiefer (Leander, Texas) also earned points for the Bison with two third-place finishes while senior Katie Bigelow (Flushing, Mich.) scored points for the Bison with a second-place finish and one fourth-place finish. Bigelow placed took second in the 500 freestyle (7:06.66) and fourth in the 200 freestyle (2:35.10) while Kiefer placed third in the 200 IM (2:59.25) and the 100 butterfly (1:23.97).
Miller-Notestone, Perkins, and Kiefer were joined by freshman Jessica Monroe (Newnan, Ga.) in the 200 medley relay during which the quartet finished in second place.
SUNY Cobleskill, who had five first-place finishes, also defeated Wells in the double-dual meet, 100-79.
- Senior Taylor Mickelson (Fargo, N.D.) earned fourth place in the 1,000 freestyle (16:33.15) and took fifth in the 100 butterfly (1:37.32)
- Junior Faye Frez-Albrecht (Canton, Conn.) came in fifth place in the 1,000 freestyle (16:39.22) and the 500 freestyle (7:51.36)
- Sophomore Eleven Mehner (Independence, Mo.) placed sixth in the 200 freestyle (3:07.15), seventh in the 100 freestyle (1:33.22) and seventh in the 100 backstroke (1:47.73)
- Monroe took fourth place in the 50 freestyle with a final time of 31.47 seconds and fourth in 100 freestyle with a time of 1:09.92
- Sophomore Alyssa Hanbury (Orlando, Fla.) was fifth in the 100 backstroke (1:24.95) and seventh in the 50 freestyle (33.99)
- Senior Paige-Cecily Ramos (New York, N.Y.) placed fourth in the 100 butterfly (1:34.30) and the 100 breaststroke (1:34.80), and took fifth place in the 200 IM (3:07.82)
- Junior Rochelle Carty-Bauman (Brampton, Ontario) finished fifth in the 100 breaststroke (1:45.02) and sixth in the 500 freestyle with a time of 8:29.87
- The 400 freestyle relay team made up of Bigelow, Hanbury, Mickelson and Frez-Albrecht took third place with a combined time of 5:07.25
GALLAUDET PERSONAL RECORDS
|Event||Name||Old Time||New Time|
|100 breaststroke||Jackie Perkins||1:17.20||1:16.87|
|100 freestyle||Eleven Mehner||1:39.37||1:33.22|
|100 butterfly||Taylor Mickelson||1:40.69||1:37.23|
|500 freestyle||Faye Frez-Albrecht||8:09.53||7:51.36|
The Bison will face Penn St.-Altoona and York (Pa.) College in a double-dual meet hosted by York on Fridat, Jan. 13, at 5 p.m.