WASHINGTON - It was a wet and damp Saturday at the Thomas O. Berg Track as the Gallaudet University track and field program hosted the Bison Invitational. The Bison women's team finished in third place as they just lost out on second place by one point.
Catholic University of America won the three-team meet with 267 points as the Cardinals swept several events including the top six places in the 200-, 800- and 1,500-meter competitions. Catholic won 13 of the 17 events. Methodist, who finished second with 57 team points, won the other four events. The Monarchs, who won the Atlantic Independent championship two days ago, sent five student-athletes to compete in five events. Gallaudet finished with 56 team points.
Sophomore Karina Mitchell (Las Cruces, N.M.) finished second in the 100-meter hurdles as she crossed the finish line in 21.27 seconds.
Gallaudet's 4x100 meter relay team finished second to Catholic with a time of 56.29 seconds. The team consisted of senior Shellane McKitty (Yonkers, N.Y.), junior Lawjen Ashmore (Fairbanks, Alaska), junior Paulette Melendez (Davenport, Fla.) and Mitchell.
Senior Ivy Sahneyah (First Mesa, Ariz.) took second place in the 5,000-meter run with a time of 27:31.72.
McKitty placed third in the 100-meter dash as she crossed in 13.16 seconds. Ashmore was close behind in fifth place (13.93) in the same event.
Ashmore finished third in the 400-meter dash with a time of 1:01.28 followed by McKitty in fourth place (1:02.00).
Freshman Tiffany Anderson (Forest Lake, Minn.) led the Bison women's team in the throwing events. Anderson finished second in the javelin with a top throw of 25.69 meters.
- Sophomore Saria Webb (Duncanville, Texas) took fourth in the shot put with a top throw of 8.92 meters
- Abby Courtemanche (Southbridge, Mass.) was fifth in the shot put with a toss of 6.16 meters and seventh in the hammer (23.07 meters)
- Junior Nicole Musey (Prince George, British Columbia) was seventh in the 1,500-meter run (6:13.76) and ninth in the 800-meter run (3:10.96)
- Melendez was ninth in the 100-meter dash (15.87) and senior Jamila Hubbard (Montezuma, Ga.) was 10th (17.51)
- Melendez was ninth in the 200-meter dash (33.32) and Hubbard 11th (35.87)
- Before the start of the running events the Gallaudet track and field program recognized its senior student-athletes on Senior Day. GU thanked seniors; Courtemanche, Hubbard, McKitty, Melissa Mischo (Salt Lake City, Utah) and Sahneyah
- Due to the rain the men's and women's pole vault and men's and women's 10,000-meter run events did not take place
Gallaudet will conclude the regular season next Saturday, April 29, at the Paul Kaiser Classic hosted by Shippensburg University.