LANCASTER, Pa. - One point separated Gallaudet University from finishing on the podium here Thursday afternoon at the Lancaster Bible College Homecoming Invitational. The Bison accumulated 74 team points and finished fourth overall as University of Valley Forge edged them with 73 points. The invitational featured nine different teams but only five teams placed with five finishers.
Gallaudet senior Kristi Luna (Austin, Texas) had her first Top 10 finish this season as she placed eighth with a time of 27 minutes, 40.5 seconds on the 6K course. Lancaster Bible's Sami Stoner won the race with a time of 24:14.0.
Penn St.-Berks won the invitational with 27 team points. The host Chargers of Lancaster Bible were second with 64 points followed by Valley Forge, Gallaudet and Notre Dame of Mayrland University in fifth (105). The four other schools who competed but didn't place as a team were Penn St.-Abington, Cumberland Community College, Penn College and Central Penn.
GU junior Nicole Musey (Prince George, British Columbia) had a Top 20 finish as she crossed the finish line in 29:59.5 in 16th place. Freshman Taylor Nguyen (Ballwin, Mo.) was 18th (30:37.0) while senior Shellane McKitty (Bronx, N.Y.) was 21st (31:35.5). Sophomore Fatuma Ali (Tucson, Ariz.) was 28th (33:45.7) to round out GU's top five finishers.
- Freshman Jessalyn Wortham (Chandler, Ariz.) was 32nd (35:51.8)
- Senior Ivy Sahneyah (First Mesa, Ariz.) was 33rd (36:46.6)
- Senior Lourdes Valenzuela (Sonora, Mexico) was 35th (37:05.2)
- Sophomore Karina Mitchell (Las Cruces, N.M.) was 38th (38:00.1)
- Sophomore Yudan Liu (Chengdu, China) was 42nd (42:19.2)
- There were 48 runners in the field
- GU had 10 of the 48 runners (20.8 percent) in the race
Gallaudet will have one day to rest up before heading to the Eastern Shore of Maryland on Saturday, Sept. 30, to run in the Don Cathcart Invitational in Salisbury, Md.