skip navigation

Gallaudet-Penn State-Berks doubleheader becomes official

Gallaudet-Penn State-Berks doubleheader becomes official

READING, Pa. – The doubleheader between the Gallaudet University baseball team and Penn State-Berks became official on Wednesday afternoon as the two teams played the final two innings of the first game. The outcome was still the same as Penn State-Berks swept the twin bill with the Bison, 26-7 and 11-3.

The doubleheader was originally played in Washington, D.C., at Hoy Field back on March 8. The first game only went five innings and was not considered legal by the NCAA because it did not reach seven innings. The second game was called after five innings because of darkness back on March 8. The second game was official by the rules set by the NCAA. The two teams had to pick a date when they could play the final two innings of the first game to make the doubleheader official.

Gallaudet was traveling to York, Pa., today to face York (Pa.) College in a Capital Athletic Conference game later in the afternoon. The Bison got an early jump and went to Reading, Pa., first to finish the game with Penn State-Berks. GU then would bus a hour southwest to York for the second game of the day.

In the final two innings of the first game with Penn State-Berks the Nittany Lions scored five runs in the top of the sixth inning to increase their lead to 26-7. Penn State-Berks (10-11) is a future conference opponent for GU when the Bison join the North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) this summer.

Gallaudet (0-18) committed a season-high eight errors in the second game and totaled 14 errors in the two games. The left side of the Bison infield committed seven of the eight errors against the Nittany Lions in the second game back on March 8.

On the bright side, the Bison offense scored a season-high seven runs in the first game. GU scored a run in four straight innings, highlighted by four runs in the third inning.

The Bison allowed Penn St.-Berks to score seven runs in the first and second inning as Gallaudet trailed 14-2 after two innings. Over the next three innings the Nittany Lions only outscored the Bison 7-5. That is where the game stopped 21-7 but when it resumed today Penn State-Berks scored five more runs.

GU was led in the first game by freshman William Bissell (Brewer, Maine) who went a combined 3-for-5, three RBIs and a triple back on March 8. Bissell crushed a ball deep to center field in the third inning of the first game that he legged out for a triple. The March 8 games were the last for Bissell as his season came to a close with an injury.

The losing pitcher of the first game was still freshman starting pitcher Peter Leccese (North Bellmore, N.Y.) as he couldn't make it out of the first inning of the first game. Leccese (0-4) surrendered seven runs on six hits in two thirds of an inning.

Gallaudet scored three runs in the bottom of the first in the second game as the Bison led 3-2 after two innings. The Nittany Lions scored six runs in the third to take over the lead and the game. Penn St.-Berks tacked on three more runs in the top of the fifth.