skip navigation

SUNYIT ends pitchers' duel in 11th inning to beat Gallaudet in NEAC tournament

SUNYIT ends pitchers' duel in 11th inning to beat Gallaudet in NEAC tournament

WASHINGTON – Sophomore pitcher Danny O'Donnell (Olney, Md.) was in the zone Friday morning as he logged 10 scoreless innings as top-seed Gallaudet University duked it out with fourth-seed SUNYIT at Hoy Field. In the 11th inning the visiting Wildcats hit back-to-back doubles, down the left field line, that led to the game's first run in the opening game of the 2014 North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) tournament.

Gallaudet (25-16) was retired in order in the bottom half of the 11th as SUNYIT (17-17) relief pitcher Ryan Dungey (4-3) picked up the 1-0 win. Dungey allowed one hit in the two extra innings as he faced six batters.

O'Donnell (5-4) allowed one run on six hits, two of which came in the decisive 11th, walked one, hit two batters and struck out six Wildcats in 11 innings. The right-hander threw 125 pitches as he faced 42 batters.

SUNYIT starting pitcher Joseph Redmond, an All-NEAC first team selection, recorded nine scoreless innings as he surrendered seven hits, walked two and struck out 10 Bison. Redmond threw 146 pitches as he faced 36 GU batters in the double-elimination tournament.

Gallaudet had several opportunities to get on the scoreboard and even had the chance to end the game in the bottom of the ninth. Senior Chris Guinn (McLoud, Okla.) and freshman Ian Evans (Murphy, N.C.) singled with two outs to put runners on first and second base. Redmond got freshman shortstop Blake Phillips (Dalton, Ga.) to fly out to end the threat.

The best opportunity for the Bison came in the fourth when they loaded the bases but couldn't push across a run. Senior outfielder William Bissell (Brewer, Maine) had an infield single and then stole second base. Freshman Justin Strong (Charlotte, N.C.) walked with one out and Guinn loaded the bases with a walk with two outs. Evans pushed Redmond to a 3-2 count but struck out looking to end the frame.

In the 11th inning, Ryan Dungey (1-for-5) led off with a bloop double towards the left field line and scored moments later when Joseph O'Rourke (2-for-5) hit a double to the same area as Dungey came around to score.

The win advanced SUNYIT to the third game on Friday afternoon as it beat third-seed Penn St.-Berks, 9-4. The Wildcats (18-17), now 2-0 in the tournament, advance to Sunday's championship round.

The Bison will play second-seed Keuka College (22-13) in an elimination game tomorrow morning (Saturday, May 10) at 10 a.m. The Storm lost the tournament's second game, 7-0, to Penn St.-Berks (16-19). The winner of Saturday's morning game between Gallaudet and Keuka will turn around and play Penn St.-Berks at 1 p.m. in another elimination game.