skip navigation

Gallaudet stumbles against Keuka in final NEAC doubleheader of season

Gallaudet stumbles against Keuka in final NEAC doubleheader of season

KEUKA PARK, N.Y. - The Gallaudet University baseball team was unable to add to its win column here Sunday as they took on Keuka College in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) doubleheader. The Bison (9-30, 4-12 NEAC) lost the first game 5-4 in extra innings and dropped the second game, 7-5, to the Wolves (14-15, 7-5 NEAC) at Kuhl Field.

Game 1: Keuka 5, Gallaudet 4
It was deja vu all over again for the Bison in the first game as Gallaudet took a 4-3 lead into the seventh inning. GU was three outs away from the win but a fielding error allowed the lead-off batter to reach base and eventually tie the game two batters later.

Gallaudet went to extra innings for the second consecutive day. GU had a 2-0 lead in the ninth inning of Saturday's first game against Wells College and lost 3-2 in the bottom of the ninth.

Things looked promising for the Bison when senior third baseman Zack Crawford (Newnan, Ga.) led off the top of the eighth with a base hit followed by Ben Meyer (Monroe, Mich.), who drew a walk. GU's next two batters struck out before Crawford and Meyer moved to third and second base, respectively, on a wild pitch. Gallaudet's next batter flew out to end the threat.

Keuka took advantage in the bottom half of the eighth inning when Rob LaRue (3-for-3, two RBI) doubled down the left field line. With two outs left, LaRue went on to score and end the game when Alec Bowie put the ball in play and reached base on Gallaudet's fourth error in the contest.

Senior pitcher Blake Phillips (Dalton, Ga.) pitched a complete game for the Bison as he struck out five batters and allowed five runs (two earned) on eight hits and two walks.

Game 2: Keuka 7, Gallaudet 5
The Bison fell behind 2-0 in the first inning but were able to tie the game with a run in the second and a run in the fourth.

After the Bison tied the game, the Wolves jumped out to a four-run lead in the bottom of the fifth. Keuka had five consecutive hits off starting pitcher Ian Evans (Murphy, N.C.) to begin the inning. The Bison used a double play to end the inning but not before Keuka took a 6-2 lead.

Gallaudet continued to fight and cut the lead in half, 6-4, in the seventh. Junior Dylan Hayes (Endicott, N.Y.) singled to right-center field to score freshman Connor Rosko (Austin, Texas), who led off with a double. Sophomore shortstop Cameron Upton (Vicksburg, Miss.) followed and reached base on a fielder's choice that scored junior outfielder Kyle Gumm (Dallas, Texas). GU had runners at the corner with two outs before Meyer flew out to right field.

Keuka got one run back in the bottom of the seventh with a RBI single by Connor Siracusa, with two outs, to score Kyle Colegrove, who doubled down the right field line.

The Bison loaded the bases in the top of the eighth. New pitcher Ken Howe walked two batters and only got one out before closer Dave Verrett (five saves) entered the game to relieve Howe. The new Keuka pitcher issued a walk to Frank Diaz (Far Rockaway, N.Y.) to load the bases and then walked Gumm to force home a run, 7-5. Gallaudet had the chance to tie or take the lead but Hayes grounded into a double play to end the inning.

Evans (2-6) pitched a complete game and surrendered seven runs on 16 hits, seven runs, walked two and struck out three in eight innings.


  • Eight different Bison had a hit in the first game
  • GU outhit Keuka 10-8 in the first game
  • Gallaudet had 21 hits on the day
  • Upton went 2-for-4, one run, one stolen base in the first game
  • Hayes went 3-for-5, one RBI in the second game
  • Rosko had two doubles in the second game

The Bison will wrap up the season next Sunday, May 7, when they head to Arlington, Va., to take on Marymount (Va.) University (19-21) in a non-conference game at 1 p.m.