ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. - The Gallaudet University baseball team lost a non-conference road game, 14-1, here Thursday to St. Mary's (Md.) College in the Hawk's Nest.
Gallaudet (5-11) fell behind early as it surrendered three runs in the bottom of the first inning and had to play catch up the rest of the nine-inning game. The Bison got on the scoreboard with a run in the top of the third to cut the Seahawks lead to three, 4-1.
St. Mary's (6-10) scored runs in every inning but one. The Seahawks scored three runs in the first, sixth and eighth innings en route to its first win in seven games.
Gallaudet starting pitcher Ian Evans (Murphy, N.C.) allowed 10 runs (eight earned) on nine hits, three walks and four strikeouts in six innings worked.
Seahawk starting pitcher Mark Smith threw a complete game as he allowed one run on five hits, one walk and struck out six for his first win of the season.
- Upton led the Bison at the plate as he went 2-for-4, one RBI
- Freshman Austin Sliva-Wynne (Richmond, Texas) hit a double in the ninth inning
- Evans is now 1-5 for the season on the mound
- Gallaudet left six runners on base
- The Seahawks had three extra-base hits
Gallaudet will travel across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge on Saturday, March 25, to face Washington College (8-10) in Chestertown, Md., at 1 p.m.