WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University baseball team lost 9-2 to in-region power Christopher Newport University, in a non-conference nine-inning game, on a cold and blustery Sunday afternoon at Hoy Field.
Gallaudet (2-6-1) surrendered runs to Christopher Newport (9-4) in the first four innings where the Captains led 7-0. The Bison responded with two runs in the bottom of the eighth before CNU added two in the top of the ninth.
Sophomore Austin Altman (Irvine, Calif.) had a two-run single in the bottom of the eighth to get Gallaudet on the scoreboard. Altman's hit plated junior Cameron Upton (Vicksburg, Miss.) and sophomore first baseman Ben Meyer (Monroe, Mich.).
Upton (1-2) started on the mound for the Bison and allowed seven runs (five earned) on eight hits, one walk and one strikeout in five innings of work. Freshman Quintan Polito (Omaha, Neb.) made his season debut and pitched three scoreless innings of relief for the Bison. Freshman Ethan Denson (Huffman, Texas) and senior Kenneth Gentzke III (Honeoye, N.Y.) split the ninth on the bump.
CNU starting pitcher Josh Husby (2-0) earned his second win of the season as he pitched five scoreless innings where he allowed four hits, two walks and struck out four. The Captains used four different relievers to close out the game.
- Shortstop Dylan Hayes (Endicott, N.Y.) had two bunt singles for GU
- Six different Bison had hits on the day
- Altman has driven in three runs during the weekend
- The Bison left nine runners on base while the Captains stranded 14
- CNU played 23 different players in the game
- Gallaudet and CNU have met on the diamond nine times with the Captains holding an 8-1 series advantage
Gallaudet will close out its 10-game homestand, to begin the season, on Tuesday, March 6, at 3 p.m. with a nine-inning game against McDaniel College (0-0).