WASHINGTON - Gallaudet University baseball fell 12-6 here to Southern Vermont College on an overcast, cold and damp Friday at Hoy Field. The Bison played the Mountaineers to a close 5-4 game after the first inning.
The Bison (2-1) dug themselves an early hole as Southern Vermont (1-1) scored seven runs on four hits as GU committed six errors in the top of the first. Bison starting pitcher Frank Diaz (Far Rockaway, N.Y.) lasted 10 batters before he was lifted with one out.
Sophomore Robersy Delgado (Tampa, Fla.) came on and got GU out of the jam and solidified things for the next five innings.
Gallaudet scored twice in the bottom of the first inning to end the 50-minute long opening frame. The Bison added a run in the second and third innings as they trailed 11-4 after three innings.
Southern Vermont walked in a run and surrendered a RBI single to Ryan Gilbert (Mount Dora, Fla.) in the bottom of the eighth inning.
Mountaineer starting pitcher Joe Braim (1-0) picked up the win as he went seven strong innings where he allowed four runs (three earned) on eight hits, one walk and five strikeouts. Diaz (0-1) took the loss as he allowed seven runs (one earned) on four hits, three walks and one strikeout.
- Senior Kenneth Gentzke III (Honeoye, N.Y.) and junior Cameron Upton (Vicksburg, Miss.) combined for three innings of scoreless relief
- Upton went 2-for-5 at the plate with one run
- Senior outfielder Kyle Gumm (Dallas, Texas) finished with two hits and a run
- GU's top five batters in its lineup scored a run
- Marymount (Va.) defeated Southern Vermont 10-5 in eight innings in the second game of the day
Gallaudet will host Muhlenberg College tomorrow (Saturday, Feb. 24) at 2 p.m. The Mules will face Southern Vermont in the morning game at 10 a.m.