ALFRED, N.Y. - A quick lead and second half insurance touchdowns was all Gallaudet University needed here Saturday as it spoiled Alfred State College's homecoming with a 35-19 victory before 1,817 at Pioneer Stadium between the two Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) teams.
Gallaudet (2-4, 2-1 ECFC) built a 14-0 lead in the first quarter behind touchdown runs by senior Joell Dixon (Brandywine, Md.) and freshman Darrion Green (DeSoto, Texas) of 66 and 12-yard lengths, respectively.
Alfred State (0-6, 0-3 ECFC), in its first season in the ECFC, answered with back-to-back scores but a blocked extra-point on the first touchdown run gave the Bison the slim 14-13 lead.
Green scored his second touchdown when sophomore quarterback Timel Benton (Columbia, S.C.) hit him on a 27-yard pass with 36 seconds left before the half. GU took a 21-13 lead into halftime.
In the second half, Benton went to work and orchestrated two more touchdown drives for the buff and blue. The second-year signal caller called his own number on an 8-yard run midway through the third quarter to cap a nine play, 47-yard drive.
On GU's next possession, Benton hit junior wide receiver Dylan Mento (Atco, N.J.) with a 36-yard touchdown strike as the Bison lead grew to 22 points, 35-13, late in the fourth.
Alfred added one final score at the 1:31 mark on a 35-yard touchdown pass from Eli Frantz (17 of 23, 169 yards, two touchdowns) to Willerm Greffin (five receptions, 58 yards).
- Benton completed 6 of 10 passes for 172 yards and two touchdowns
- He also ran the ball 13 times for 48 yards and one score
- Green finished with 68 rushing yards on nine carries
- Dixon led the team with 89 yards on seven carries
- Mento was the leading receiver with three catches for 88 yards
- Gallaudet compiled 447 yards of offense including 275 yards on the grounds
- Both teams held the ball for 30 minutes
- Sophomore Mason Gooch (Mount Sterling, Ky.) led the defense with eight tackles
- Junior linebacker Tony Libit (Deerbrook, Wis.) added seven tackles, one sack for a loss of nine yards and two tackles for a loss of 11 yards
Gallaudet returns home for Homecoming Weekend and will host three-time defending champion Husson University (5-1, 3-0 ECFC) on Saturday, Oct. 21, at 1 p.m.