WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University football team celebrated its final home game of the season with a 28-7 victory over Dean College in an Eastern Collegiate Football Conference (ECFC) game on a picturesque fall Saturday afternoon at Hotchkiss Field.
Gallaudet (3-5, 3-2 ECFC) put the game away in the second half with back-to-back touchdown drives that chewed up a lot of the game clock as the Bison outscored the Bulldogs, 14-0.
Senior slot Cody Paulay-Simmons (Kailua-Kona, Hawaii) ran in from two yards out to cap a 12-play, 63-yard drive that lasted over six minutes. The Bison led 21-7 as they went into the fourth quarter.
Senior slot Joell Dixon (Brandywine, Md.) scored on a five-yard run at the 8:32 mark in the fourth to conclude a 16-play, 86-yard drive that lasted eight minutes, 23 seconds and started in the third quarter.
The back-to-back touchdown runs by two seniors on Senior Day was fitting as Gallaudet recognized its six seniors, two senior team managers and two senior cheerleaders before the start of today's game.
Gallaudet's defense forced Dean (3-5, 1-4 ECFC) to punt three straight times in the second half before quarterback Kordell Scott (14-for-23, 150 yards, two interceptions) was intercepted on the last drive by freshman strong safety Jack Gray (Atherton, Calif.).
The Bison rolled up 334 yards of offense with 248 coming on the ground. Gallaudet dominated the time of possession (38:01) as its four drives in the second half took nearly 19 minutes.
Dean responded with a nine-yard touchdown run by Scott as the game was knotted, 7-7, at the 8:49 mark in the first quarter.
GU scored its second touchdown when Benton hit junior wide receiver Dylan Mento (Atco, N.J.) from nine yards out with 3:48 left before the half.
- Benton finished 8-for-12, 86 yards and two touchdowns to go with 38 rushing yards on 14 carries
- Dixon led the rushing attack with 55 yards
- Freshman Myron McDaniel (Florence, Ala.) led the Bison with six tackles
- Linebackers Tony Libit (Deerbrook, Wis.) and Mauricio Orozco (Largo, Md.) added five tackles each
- Gray and Rodney Burford (Brooklyn, N.Y.) made the two interceptions in the game
- Junior Everett Polzin (Frederick, Md.) had a sack for a loss of 13 yards
- In addition to Dixon, Paulay-Simmons the other seniors on the football team include defensive back Montray Roberts (Dallas, Texas), kicker Katie Bigelow (Flushing, Mich.), offensive linemen Devaron Scott (Mocksville, N.C.) and Cody Young (Abbeville, Ala.)
- GU was 3-for-4 on fourth down and 9 of 17 on third down
- The Bison defense limited the Bulldogs to 85 yards rushing
Gallaudet will be on the road the next two weeks to close out the season. The Bison will travel to Vermont on Saturday, Nov. 4, to face Castleton University (4-4, 3-2 ECFC) in a conference game at noon.