skip navigation

Fast start fizzles out in second half against Greensboro

Gallaudet offensive line

GREENSBORO, N.C. - A fast start on a hot Saturday afternoon gave the Gallaudet University football team an early advantage on the road against Greensboro College. The tide turned in the second half as rain, injuries and turnovers mounted for the Bison as the the lead slipped away in favor of the Pride, who celebrated a 44-28 win at Jamieson Stadium.

Gallaudet (0-2) came out of the gates on fire and only needed two plays to get on the scoreboard. Junior quarterback Timel Benton (Columbia, S.C.) scampered 71 yards on the ground for a touchdown just 56 seconds into the first quarter.

The Bison special teams unit came up big in the first quarter with two scores. On Greensboro's second possession the Pride were forced to punt from their 21-yard line. Punter Ronnie Hall had his punt blocked by junior Damonte Bray (Clinton, Md.) as freshman Eric Gregory (Metairie, La.) scooped up the loose ball at the 3 and ran it into the end zone for a touchdown at the 7:34 mark.

On the ensuing possession, Pride quarterback Nate Coffey (14-for-23, 186 yards, three touchdowns) had his pass intercepted by senior Rashard Witherspoon (Brownsville, Tenn.) but the play got waved off due to a Bison penalty. Greensboro continued the drive but fumbled on fourth down as Bray scooped up the ball and ran 18 yards for a touchdown. The Bison led 21-0 with 5:53 left in the opening quarter.

On Gallaudet's first series of the second quarter, freshman slot Cassmeir Hutchinson (Chesapeake, Va.) took a handoff at the GU 45 and ran 55 yards into the end zone as the Bison led 28-6 over the Pride.

Greensboro (1-1) scored one more time before the half as the Bison led by 14 points at the break, 28-14.

In the second half, Gallaudet's starting quarterback and running back got sidelined and their replacements could not deliver. Greensboro began its comeback as the skies opened up and rain fell down.

The Pride received great field possession and took advantage of Bison miscues to score three straight touchdowns in the third quarter to take their first lead, 35-28.

Greensboro tacked on a 22-yard field goal in the fourth quarter and a third fumble by Gallaudet quarterback Lance Wood (Fishers, Ind.) got returned for a 49-yard touchdown to put the game away with 3:37 left.


  • Senior Demontrai Lewis (Trinity, Texas) led the GU defense with 10 tackles (eight solo), four tackles for a loss of 17 yards, one sack, one forced fumble and one block
  • GU's defense had 14 tackles for a loss of 53 yards, including four sacks for a loss of 26 yards
  • Gallaudet quarterbacks got sacked eight times (five in the second half)
  • Benton finished the game with 83 yards on five carries
  • Hutchinson was second on the team with 57 rushing yards
  • The Bison had 254 team rushing yards

Gallaudet returns home and will play host to Apprentice School (1-1) on Saturday, Sept. 15, at 1 p.m. in the Bison home opener at Hotchkiss Field