TOWSON, Md. – The Gallaudet University men's basketball team picked up its third win in a row with a 72-51 victory over Goucher College here Saturday in a non-conference game at the Decker Sports and Recreation Center. The Bison (3-4) head into the winter break with a three-game winning streak after starting the season 0-4.
Senior guard Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) led the offense with 19 points as he made four 3-pointers. Junior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) made eight of Gallaudet's first 10 points as he finished with 17 points, five rebounds and three blocks. Senior Brandon Holsworth (Beal City, Mich.) was the third Bison in double figures with 11 points, seven rebounds and two steals. Senior guard Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) contributed five points, six rebounds and two assists.
Goucher (4-7) was led by Troy DeShields (11 rebounds) and Ed Oliver (two blocks) as the pair scored 12 points each.
Goucher led 5-0 early before McGriff scored eight of GU's first 10 points. The Gophers took their final lead, 11-10, at the 12:43 mark when Ibrahim Kallon made a jump shot. A 9-0 run helped GU take a 28-16 lead and went into halftime up 30-24.
The Bison pulled away in the second half thanks to a 12-3 run during a five-minute stretch. GU led 50-35 with 11 minutes to play. The Bison emptied the bench in the waning minutes as GU locked up win No. 3.
- Sophomore Rashad Gatlin (Chicago, Ill.) scored a season-high nine points off the bench
- Junior Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) had seven rebounds
- Gallaudet outscored Goucherm 32-18 in the paint
- The game featured three lead changes and one tie
- GU led for the final 31 minutes
- This is the second highest point total for the Bison this season
- GU went 3-1 in the month of December
- The Bison defeated the Gophers, 75-71, last season
Gallaudet will next see the court in the New Year when the Bison dive back into North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) competition. GU (0-1 NEAC) will travel to Penn St.-Abington (0-7, 0-1 NEAC) on Jan. 5, 2016, at 1 p.m.