skip navigation

St. Mary's (Md.) needs last second 3-pointer to defeat Gallaudet, 59-56

St. Mary's (Md.) needs last second 3-pointer to defeat Gallaudet, 59-56

ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. - Tanner Brooks drained a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left to propel St. Mary's College of Maryland past Gallaudet University, 59-56, in a non-conference men's basketball game here Saturday before a crowd of 206 at the O'Brien ARC Arena.

The tightly contested game went back-and-forth between the two teams as no team led by more than five points over the final 16 minutes of regulation.

Junior Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) scored a layup at the 11:04 mark in the second half to give Gallaudet (0-3) its first lead, 45-44, since the final 32 seconds of the first half. Several minutes later, McGriff made two free throws to increase the Bison lead to three, 47-44. McGriff finished the game with 14 points, 10 rebounds and three blocked shots.

The trio of Isaiah Martin (14 points, eight rebounds), Delaszo Smith (five points) and Brooks (19 points) scored the final 19 points for the Seahawks (3-2), an in-region powerhouse, in the last 17 minutes of the second half.

Senior Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) tied the game for the sixth time when he was fouled on a three-point shot attempt with 35 seconds left in regulation. Gordon made all three free throws to knot the game at 56.

After Brooks' dramatic 3-pointer gave the Seahawks a 59-56 advantage, Gordon turned the ball over with two seconds left.

Gallaudet had another hot start as the Bison scored the first eight points of the game thanks to Gordon's two 3-pointers. Gordon led the Bison with 17 points as he made four 3-pointers in the game. GU held the lead for the first eight minutes before St. Mary's tied the game at 12-12 on a tip-in by Brooks. The Seahawks led 34-32 at halftime.


  • For the second straight game senior Brandon Holsworth (Beal City, Mich.) made two 3-pointers
  • Senior guard Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) scored six points and grabbed six rebounds
  • Gallaudet led for 12 minutes and 23 seconds in the game
  • GU's bench outscored St. Mary's bench by two, 17-15
  • The Bison held a 28-26 edge in the paint
  • The Seahawks scored 26 points off 26 GU turnovers
  • The game was tied six times and saw five lead changes
  • Both team's largest lead was eight points at ironically the same 18:20 mark in the first half (GU 8-0) and the second half (SMC 40-32)

Gallaudet is off until Sunday, Dec. 6, when it begins conference play with a road game at Penn College (0-3). The North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) tilt will tip at noon.