WASHINGTON - It was a complete team effort here Saturday for Gallaudet University as the men's basketball team defeated University of Valley Forge, 81-52, before a festive 326 in the Field House. This is Gallaudet's second win this week and the 81 points are the most in a game this season.
Gallaudet (2-4) held a comfortable 38-21 halftime lead but added to that margin in the second half. Three monstrous dunks by junior Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) brought the crowd to their feet and added fuel to the fire. McGriff (16 points, five rebounds) scored nine straight points, in two minutes, early in the second half as the Bison led 53-25.
Three Bison reached double figures led by senior guard Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) who made four 3-pointers and totaled 17 points, four steals, three rebounds and one assist. Senior forward Brandon Holsworth (Beal City, Mich.) scored eight of his 13 points in the first half while sophomore forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) grabbed a game-high nine rebounds to go with five points. Senior guard Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) added eight points and passed out a career-high 12 assists plus grabbed four rebounds and made three steals.
GU coach Kevin Kovacs emptied the bench midway through the second half as he played all 15 players in uniform.
Valley Forge was led by Devin Williams' 13 points, five rebounds and two steals.
- GU scored an impressive 48 points in the paint
- The Bison held a 44-29 edge in rebounds
- The Patriot bench outscored Gallaudet's 26-22
- Gallaudet shot 52.7 percent from the field (29 of 55)
- GU was 19 of 24 (79.2 percent) from the free throw line
- The last time Gallaudet faced Valley Forge was Nov. 27, 2011, when the Patriots won 78-71 in the GU Holiday Tournament consolation game
The Bison will wrap up the semester at Goucher College on Saturday, Dec. 19, to face the Gophers (4-6) in a non-conference game at 2 p.m.