WASHINGTON – The Gallaudet University men's basketball team scraped out an 89-80 win over Wilson College here Saturday in a North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) South Division contest at the Field House.
Gallaudet (14-6, 11-3 NEAC) built on its 44-38 halftime lead with an early burst in the second half. The Bison went on a 22-4 run during a nine-minute stretch to take a 70-45 lead with 8:59 left in regulation.
Wilson (4-16, 3-12 NEAC) became more aggressive on the defensive side of the court in the last nine minutes of the game, playing close man-to-man and forced Gallaudet into eight turnovers while converting these miscues into points. The Phoenix went on a 25-8 run of its own and trailed by eight, 78-70, at the 1:48 mark.
The Bison clenched down, relying on all five of their starters as well as two key reserves to hold off the late Phoenix rally. The Phoenix made a 3-pointer with 29 seconds left as Gallaudet only held a five-point advantage, 83-78. Wilson sent Gallaudet to the free throw line 14 times in the last two minutes where the Bison made 11 attempts to help seal the victory.
All five starters for Gallaudet scored at least 12 points and three players recorded double-doubles. Senior guard Todd Bonheyo (Frederick, Md.) scored 12 points, gathered in a game-high 13 rebounds and dished out a team-high seven assists. Junior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J.) had 18 points on 7 of 11 shooting, 12 rebounds and matched his career best with six blocks. Sophomore forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) added 12 points and 12 rebounds for his third double-double of the season. Senior guard Trey Gordon (Talladega, Ala.) sank six 3-pointers, finishing with a game-high 24 points to go along with three assists and two steals. Junior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) rounded out the starting five with 14 points, six rebounds, seven assists and three blocks.
The Phoenix were led by a duo of sophomore guards, Marqwon Wynn who scored a game-high 24 points and Keion Adams who recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Junior guards Willie McDowell and Marquis Nelson (seven assists) added 13 points each.
Wilson College jumped out to an early 17-6 lead within the first five minutes of the game, thanks to three early 3-pointers as Gallaudet only made three of its first nine shots. Gordon and McGriff would combine for 25 points in the first half, slowly cutting down the Phoenix lead. GU took the lead, for the first time since the opening minute, up 32-31 at the 4:23 mark during a 10-0 run. This was a lead that the Bison would never relinquish.
- Junior Shawn Harrington (Frederick, Md.) contributed nine points as he was a perfect 4-for-4 from the field off the bench
- McGriff's double-double today was his 10th of the season
- Bonheyo's 13 rebounds is a career-high mark and his second double-double of the season
- Junior James Steingieser (New Market, Md.) logged 13 minutes and tallied three rebounds off the bench
- The Bison outscored the Phoenix 44-34 in the paint
- GU held a 50-35 edge in rebounds
- This was the third game this season the Bison had 50 or more rebounds
- Gallaudet distributed a season-high 22 assists
- GU had a 9-4 advantage over Wilson in blocked shots
- The nine blocked shots are a season-high for the Bison
- Gallaudet is 4-0 all-time against the Phoenix since they added men's basketball in 2014-15
- This is the second straight game the Bison have scored 89 points
Gallaudet will try to build upon its four-game winning streak with a home game against NEAC South Division foe Bryn Athyn College (5-17, 5-10 NEAC) on Tuesday, Feb. 16, at 5 p.m.