WASHINGTON - The Gallaudet University men's basketball team is still undefeated in North Eastern Athletic (NEAC) competition after the Bison defeated SUNY Cobleskill, 66-59, here Sunday before a crowd of 237 in the Field House.
After a close first half with six lead changes, the Bison (13-3, 11-0 NEAC) came out of the locker room determined to stay perfect in NEAC play. GU built up a 16-point lead with 7:14 left in the game. The Fighting Tigers (2-12, 2-6 NEAC) battled back cutting the lead to eight points, 63-55, with 1:15 left. The deficit proved to be too much as the Bison marched on to victory.
The Bison saw three starters reach double figures. Freshman guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) led the way with 18 points and four rebounds. Senior center Joshua McGriff (Somerset, N.J) came on strong in the second half where he scored nine of his 14 points. In addition, he hauled in eight rebounds and blocked six shots. Junior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) chalked up 11 points and was one rebound shy of a double-double, as he hauled in nine.
Cobleskill was led by Joel Costello who netted 15 points and brought down seven rebounds to go with three steals and one block.
- Freshman guard Matthew Sherman (Angora, Minn.) came off the bench and dropped a career-high eight points while collecting five rebounds
- Senior guard Raymond Nelson (Riverside, Calif.) posted seven assists, six rebounds, five points and two steals
- McGriff tied his career record for blocks in a game with six for the third time in his career
- Cruz has reached double digits in eight consecutive games
- GU dominated the glass as it out-rebounded Cobleskill, 56-30,
- The Bison scored 17 points off of 13 offensive rebounds
- Gallaudet outscored Cobleskill in the paint, 38-22
- The Bison turned the ball over a season-high 38 times
Gallaudet will conclude a three-game home stand on Tuesday (Jan. 24) against Wilson College (4-11, 4-7 NEAC) at 7 p.m.