WASHINGTON - Senior forward Andy Cruz (Bronx, N.Y.) converted a three-point play, late in Sunday's North Eastern Athletic Conference (NEAC) men's basketball game, to earn his 1,000th career point at Gallaudet University. Cruz's milestone helped to propel the Bison to a 78-67 win over Cazenovia College in the Field House on Padden Court.
Cruz made a lay-up at the 4:17 mark in the second half when he was fouled and was sent to the free throw line. Cruz converted the free-throw attempt to earn his 20th point in the game and his 1,000th in four years at GU. After a brief moment to recognize the accomplishment, the Bison went on to score 12 of the final 21 points to close out the game.
The duo of Cruz and sophomore guard Noah Valencia (Riverside, Calif.) combined to score 42 points. Valencia made four three-pointers en route to his game-high 22 points while Cruz completed the double-double with 13 rebounds.
Gallaudet played a strong first half and took a 43-36 lead into halftime. The physical and tough game slugged on in the second half where GU outscored Cazenovia by four points, 35-31.
Cazenovia was paced by Jaceary Menes' 20-point games off the bench.
- Junior center Jamal Garner (Jacksonville, Ill.) scored six points and seven rebounds
- Freshman center Lance Wood (Fishers, Ind.) came off the bench to add six points and five rebounds
- GU held a 46-36 edge in rebounds
- The Bison scored 21 points off 19 Wildcat turnovers
- The two teams combined for 42 fouls and three technicals
- The game had five lead changes and two ties
- Gallaudet scored 42 points in the paint
Gallaudet will close out its three-game homestand on Wednesday, Jan. 17, with a NEAC game against Wilson College (10-5, 4-2 NEAC) at 5 p.m.